If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCMA Meeting

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

JoeNJ31 Find out more about JoeNJ31
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCMA Meeting

Since I just learned I had HCM this past November and I had the ICD Implant procedure three weeks ago, it's seemed like a whirlwind experience that has altered my life completely. Would the HCMA meeting be something I can benefit from or not..?

Re: HCMA Meeting

OH... a thousand, billion, percent YES! You will not regret it one moment and also get to meet everyone who attends and even have casual face to face time with some pretty famous expert HCM knowledgeable doctors.

Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I went to my first HCMA meeting (this year will be my third) just two weeks after discovering that my 14 year-old daughter had HCM. I was not well prepared but found that the informational sections were excellent. It was like trying to drink from a firehose but I learned an enormous amount. More importantly, I learned that most people live normal lives with this disease. Also, I really learned to enjoy people who value their lives. It's a big commitment of time and money but you won't regret going. See you there.
      Bob

Comment

It is defnitely very worthwhile and like others have said you get to meet so many people that are in your situation.
        Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
        ICD&Pacemaker 1996
        Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
        Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Yes, you'll learn a lot, both from the talks and from meeting people.

Gordon
          Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

I attending my first last year. Learned a ton, met some of the nicest and most inspiring people. I interviewed my future HCM doctors in a relaxed setting, over drinks, fully clothed.
            This year I will go again, I've earned some additional flags to wear on my registration pin that I'm proud to show off. I do hope to see those I met last year and eager to meet more & learn more.
            Marc
            Diagnosed @ 48
            Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
            Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
            AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
            After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
            Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Working...
            X