If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bucky - Are you out there?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

RRKamm Married with 4 grown children and one grandson Find out more about RRKamm
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucky - Are you out there?

Has anyone heard from Bucky lately? He has been rather conspicuous by his absence. I was just wondering if he was still doing OK after his myectomy. Is he feeling so good he is out keeping busy so has no time to post?

Bob

Re: Bucky - Are you out there?

Bo I left a PM & no repsonse. I'll give him a call. . .
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

He's alive & well! If you boys & girls remember, the great bald one was moving prior to his surgery and that seems to be his exercise of choice now.
      He has not re-hooked up the computer and that is why he has not returned messages or posted the trials and tribulations of his recovery. He'll be posting soon I'm sure.
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Hello All:

Yes it's good to be over the operation. Coming up to five weeks now and the incision and sternum feel pretty good. Thanks for all the good wishes from everyone

As with many things in life some good news and some not as good - yet from the operation.

I am still fighting some fluid on my lungs that we may have to tap if it doesn't go away in a few weeks - we'll see. That would be the third tap......I guess third time is the charm.

Some of the more unpleasant symtoms I've had with HOCM went away immediately....that nasty old "zonning out" feeling after eating a meal is gone and a good deal of the phelgm (and coughing) seems to have subsided.

Remaining still is SOB which I had really hoped would go away or diminish. Some of the SOB may be a result of the fluid on the lungs so I may not have a good handle on that result for awhile.

Since I am only a month into this recovery, who knows how I'll feel in a few months.

I am keeping my focus on the improvement mode and working like heck on my exercise to see if I can improve significantly.

I'm glad I had the Myectomy and I am positive that I'll be even happier in a few months.

I'll keep you posted.

One thing for certain, though, I think I'll pass (if I can) on any more open chest operations.........."OUCH".

take care all,

doug
        Last edited by Bucky; 03-14-2009, 08:38 PM.
        Diagnosed in June 2007, Pacemaker Oct 2007, Myectomy in Feb 2009 at Cleveland Clinic, Two daughters, both checked with Ultrasounds in 2008, all OK so far. Two grandchildren both check with Ultrasounds and all is OK to date. OH YES....Harry, the Doggie, says Hi also. sigpic

Comment

Doug, for only being 5 weeks out you sound pretty good. I bet if it werent for that darn fluid you would really be noticing how good you feel. I hope that resolves soon and you can start enjoying life post myectomy.
          Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
          ICD&Pacemaker 1996
          Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
          Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Doug,
            I had a really severe pleural effusion after my surgery. Believe me, I had SOB in spades until they tapped it.

Gordon
            Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Doug - You are still really early in your recovery. And, with the fluid in the lungs, it might take a little longer. Just be patient, give it time, and you will definitely start to improve. But you really have to measure in months, not days or even weeks.
              Daughter of Father with HCM
              Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
              Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
              ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
              Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Doug.

Glad things are going as well as they are for you. Hope the fluid issue resolves quickly. I cannot imagine eating a meal and feeling normal. I am very happy you can notice that result!

Peace,

Leon
                God Squad co-moderator
                Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Doug... Happy for the positive results to date, sorry about those bumps in the road ..3 times a charm for the tap, I hope, if that's how it works out.. really sorry about that.. not an experience that I would want to repeat twice let alone three times but, the results are amazing as you know from the previous taps.. just gotta keep that seepage from creeping back in!

Take care and just keep being positive.

Pam
                  Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                  Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                  Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                  SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                  [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                  Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                  Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                  Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Doug, glad to hear your doing better. Give yourself time to heal. If they have to tap your lungs again "maybe the third time will be a charm" and you will get back to normal.

Just take it easy for awhile.

Donna -17yr old son dx'd with HCM in March 2008 - No family history.

Comment

Doug,
                      Good for you for your positive attitude in the midst of the bumps. Good to hear from you!
                      Theresa
                      Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Working...
                      X