If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heart Attack Victim Saved by Defibrillator Salesman

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mbcube Birth father died of HCM @ 49, I'm older than that now, Dx @ 48, 3 boys 22, 25, 29 all negative so far, pending future genetics Find out more about mbcube
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gfox42
    replied
    Re: Heart Attack Victim Saved by Defibrillator Salesman

How often is it a good thing to be around a salesman?

Gordon

Leave a comment:

• mbcube
    started a topic Heart Attack Victim Saved by Defibrillator Salesman

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/s...30944&catid=82

ST. LOUIS, MO -- Ask Carolyn Holt to tell you about the day that changed her life and it starts like any other day. "April 21st, it was on a Friday and I was driving down Mid Rivers Mall Drive," Holt remembers.

That's where Steve Earl has to pick up the story.

"I was coming from our baby-sitters house, we had just picked up my daughter is was about 6:00. We swerved out of the way and she hit the guard rail behind us," Earl explains. On April 21, 2006 Carolyn Holt got a second chance at life thanks to four complete strangers.

"I went and pulled the receiver hitch out of the back of my truck and I busted out the rear window so I wouldn't get glass all over her and unlocked the door and pulled her out," recalls F.J. Runyon. "She was really blue and really in need of care instantly," he added. Carolyn was the victim of sudden cardiac arrest.

"There's a lot of emphasis placed on stroke and heart attacks but sudden cardiac arrest kills about a third of a million people a year," Carolyn Holt points out. "A person loses approximately 10 percent chance of survival for every minute that passes," Earl explains.

And that's where this story turns into more of a miracle because Steve, the guy she almost hit, was an automated external defibrillator salesman.
    "I hadn't used it in a live situation obviously, I had used in simulated situations," Earl says.

That AED is essentially what saved Carolyn's life.

"95 percent of people who go into sudden cardiac arrest die," Holt says. "I tell everybody I have a Timex heart, it takes a licking and keeps on ticking."
Working...
X