If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

swollen foot

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Alison Whybro Find out more about Alison Whybro
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swollen foot

Happy New Year from New Zealand!
    My 11 year daughter Anna has HCM and is due to have her mitral valve replaced in February (her last surgery was a mitral valve repair two years ago).

Tonight, after a fairly active day at the beach, her right foot has swollen quite badly for no apparent reason (no cuts, bites, injury etc). This has not happened before.

We have put her to bed with her foot elevated on some pillows but I am wondering if we should be seeking medical attention now instead of waiting until the morning? Anna is feeling well otherwise, just tired.

Could the swollen foot be anything to do with her heart condition and how common is this?

Thanks for your advice,

Alison
    Auckland, New Zealand

Re: swollen foot

Just one swollen foot (as opposed to both) is probably not anything to do with HCM. The only thing that really causes swelling with heart conditions is congestive heart failure and that would affect both feet/ankles at the same time.

It is more likely that there is an infection from a puncture wound you can't see or a sprain of some kind. If she has a fever or the foot changes color, I could get immediate attention. Also, itching is bad, too.

Comment

I would take her to emergency care after calling her covering MD first. This could be the beginning of a cellulitis and it is sneaky and can be quite concerning in anyone least wise a child.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cellulitis/DS00450

Let us know what you learn .. best wishes.

Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Dear Pam & Sarah,

Thank you for your replies concerning my daughter's swollen foot. It turned out to be a white tail spider bite that caused it! Fortunately the swelling settled down after two days and my daughter had no other adverse affects from it.

Thanks again,

Kind regards,

Alison
        Auckland, NZ

Comment

Poor child .. I HATE SPIDERS!!! YUK... YUK...YUK!

Hope all goes well for her.

Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Alison,
            Thanks for updating us. Glad she is doing ok.
            I hate spiders, also, Pam!
            Theresa
            Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Working...
            X