If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chest Pain - What's HCM and what's not?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Chris_in_shed Find out more about Chris_in_shed
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chest Pain - What's HCM and what's not?

Learning to differentiate between the various types of chest pain we get with HCM can be one of the toughest aspects of the disease, speaking for myself at least. I've gone to the ER a half-dozen times over the years with classic MI symptoms... chest tightness, squeezing, left arm numbness and pain, often radiating up into my neck and jaw. Each time though they said I was fine and sent me home. Now I wonder if I ever do have a heart attack, how in the world I'll tell the difference?
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Yes, it is so hard.

I went to the doctors office this afternoon, obviously I gave all my symptoms, left arm pain/ache, chest pain, lightheaded, etc... the doctor (not my usual one) looked in my throat... said I didn't have an infection and sent me on my way saying come back in a few days if it hasn't cleared. I said... "I was just a bit worried it was heart related", she said that it didn't sound at all like heart pain. I don't think she'd looked at my notes at all.

But yes, trying to know what's worthy of more action and what isn't, is very hard indeed.

Chris.
      In my 30's, Diag HCM Feb 08, ICD May 08, Myectomy June 30th 2011, Gene +ve, At the moment I'm taking... Verapamil 480mg (when I remember).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_in_shed View Post
        I went to the doctors office this afternoon, obviously I gave all my symptoms, left arm pain/ache, chest pain, lightheaded, etc... the doctor (not my usual one) looked in my throat... said I didn't have an infection and sent me on my way saying come back in a few days if it hasn't cleared.
        Wow. Just. Wow.

Comment

Where did that doctor go to school? Lord almighty! That's ridiculous.

You should be seeing your cardiologist, not the PCP. Unless you are in an HMO and they make you see the nimrod first before you can get a referral. Stupid HMOs.

Call your cardiologist and your regular doctor and leave them messages about your symptoms and see what happens.

Good luck.

s

Comment

I was a bit shocked myself. I don't really know what else to say!

If it get's much worse i'll go to the ER, otherwise, I'm already seeing my cardiologist next Monday so I'll wait until then.

A throat infection... I laughed about that quite a lot on the way home. Doctors hey?!
            In my 30's, Diag HCM Feb 08, ICD May 08, Myectomy June 30th 2011, Gene +ve, At the moment I'm taking... Verapamil 480mg (when I remember).

Comment

You know the bad thing is the doctor that put me on Ranexa is the director of our transplant team that is so sad, I wish I could find someone local that knows how to treat this disease for my son and myself

Shirley
              Diagnosed 2003
              Myectomy 2-23-2004
              Husband: Ken
              Son: John diagnosed 2004
              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

In college, my boyfriend developed excruciating pain and he went to the school clinic. The nurse told him that he couldn't have anything wrong with him because people don't "have any organs there" (where the pain was). Can you believe it? The organ that "wasn't there" was a kidney with a nice fat kidney stone in it.

Comment

I have as I now understand, had chest pain most of my adult life from age 18 to present age 55. When I was young they dismissed all and said it was anxiety, anemia etc.. When I got a little older and continued with chest pain and passing out they would say I was "run down" . I would pass out because the chest pain was so bad.. the three concussions I had as a result of 3 of the multiple pass outs and hitting of my head, should not have happened. I have been told my chest pain was GURD.. Neuroligical, Psychological, Valsalva... you name it. From age 47 to now age 55 it finally has the correct understanding, I get the right attitude from the doctors and the proper treatment for it.

You just need to be seeing a doctor who knows HCM well.

Sorry for the insanity of your less then adequate care.

Pam
                  Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                  Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                  Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                  SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                  [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                  Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                  Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                  Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Chris,
                    That has got to go into the book of "STUPID!" Can you call or email her to ask her what then WOULD sound like 'heart pain' ? (You know, if for no other reason than to give you and all of us more comic relief. ) What a joke! I hope you didn't have to pay anything for that visit!
                    Take care and keep us updated.
                    Theresa
                    Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

I have to tell you that a regular comment among my fellow biology professors, when complaining about students, is "Watch out: one day she'll be your doctor." I've known some who probably turned into fine physicians, but there are a lot that I wouldn't let near me.

I should add that a friend actually had the experience of being taken to the ER after a car accident and, seeing a former student there, insisted on another doctor.

Gordon
                      Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

It does make you wonder sometimes how they got their degree huh and that maybe they need to get their money back, I use to hold doctors in very high respect but not so much these days between myself and my son

Shirley
                        Diagnosed 2003
                        Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

Thanks all for your comments. I still chuckle to myself about her looking in my throat - but I suppose I'm fortunate that I have good friends who are proper ER doctors so I can phone for advice from them anyway.

I'm doing ok. Yes my left arm still aches, yes I still have chest pain/pressure/dullness (although it's a bit better), yes I still get hot moments, yes I am a bit more lightheaded that I was at the weekend, I feel a bit more out of it - but all in all I generally think I'm a lot better. Hope that doesn't sound too crazy.

Chris

Comment

We've all seen our share of dimwitted doctors before, but dang, yours just might win the prize. The U.S. healthcare system certainly has its faults, but I can tell you if I walked into my doctor's office or hospital today and complained of chest pain, I'd be flat on my back on a gurney in less than a minute, surrounded by doctors and nurses hooking up all the appropriate gadgets and fussing over me. I'm sorry to read about your bad experience.

Comment

That is what happened to me about a month ago, I was taken straight back and wired up and blood was taken, but I had been up most of the night in pain my chest was killing me and I was fine but I told the doctor I felt stupid for being there and he said if you have chest pain that last more then 15 minutes I should go straight to the ER and I had to laugh and say well I guess we will get to know each other on a daily bases then HAHA

Shirley
                              Diagnosed 2003
                              Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

Chris

Are you drinking enough water? Dehydration can cause a lot of problems for HCM patients and can cause headaches, dizziness, etc.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X