If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Effects from very high altitude and Acetazolimide

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

dughr Find out more about dughr
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects from very high altitude and Acetazolimide

Hi,
    It has been a very long time since I have posted here. I have a question that might be answered at least in part here so I would like to ask it here before I call Dr. Maron Monday. I am traveling to Ecuador next week and will be traveling to Quito and Odovalo among others which are at altitudes of approximately 11,000 feet. I live in Boston at sea level. I have end stage HCM managed by Atenolol and Lisinopril. E.F. is up these days to about 40 from 30. I feel good and get around just fine after my myectomy in '03.

My question is does anyone have first hand knowledge of being at this altitude from sea level with HCM. I have always tolerated high altitudes better than people who are seemingly in better shape, but haven't been to altitudes higher than about 6,000 in some years, but at 6,000 had no issues.

I also read the drug Acetazolamide is commonly used to counter shallow night breathing due to the reduction of CO2 in the blood, which acts as a trigger to keep us breathing involuntarily. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the use of this drug in persons with HCM?

Thanks!
    Doug
    NEMC's (Boston) First Myectomy 7-22-2003

Re: Effects from very high altitude and Acetazolimide

Hi Doug,
    I suspect that the answer is likely to be individual. I live at sea level too. In July I went hiking from 8,000 to 10,000 feet -- substantially higher than I'd been in quite some time. I was pretty apprehensive, but I did fine -- really slow, but not light-headed and with what felt like a reasonable heart rate. To put it another way, I enjoyed the hike.

But I don't have end-stage HCM, and we probably differ in other ways too. I'd suspect that the way people respond to low O2 pressures may vary quite a bit.

Gordon
    Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Doug,
      I'm sorry I don't have answers to your questions, but I just wanted to tell you it's so good to hear from you again. I'm glad to hear you're doing ok.
      Take care and keep in touch.
      Theresa
      Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

I do not have any first hand knowledge but just wanted to give you... my original myectomy mentor, a shout out. Hallow old friend Doug.

Just thinking that some of the issues may be directly impacted for altitudes with regards to pulmonary hypertension issues as secondary to the HCM ..from pressures; intracardiac from the stiffness( DHF).

Sounds like you are heading for some fun .. take care and let us know what is advised and all that helps you achieve your goal.. best wishes,

Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

We live in Colorado at about 8000 ft and frequently travel to 12000. Prior to my husbands transplant he was on the same drugs as you and did not have any ill effects traveling from Colorado to Florida and back. He just pretty much felt bad all the time. I know this probably does not answer your question but this was his experience. Tina

Comment

Working...
          X