If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A negative responce to exercise!!!!!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

shirleymahoney Born In Tulsa Oklahoma and have a wonderful husband and 2 great children Find out more about shirleymahoney
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A negative responce to exercise!!!!!

I have a question, I have a stair stepper machine I use and I take 50mg of metoprolol a day the machine has a pulse rate on it, when I start it my pulse is like 72 and as work out it goes down, I was on it this morning and it started going down, so my daughter grabbed my blood pressure machine and it read 159/99 and my heart rate 61 and irregular, I called the Dr's office couldn't talk with the doctor only nurses and they are telling me it is normal for me to do this and not to worry and I was only on it for a minute and 27 sec, I have never had this responce before even on 200mg of the medicine and my heart rate has never fallen like that before even on the hospitals treadmill test where i have been on exercise equipment for at least 3 minutes please help Is this normal for me ????????????

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Re: A negative responce to exercise!!!!!

Shirley, I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly, I do hope by this evening, you are doing much better. Your pulse should not drop during aerobic exercise, but it does happen occaisionally. Let your doctor know if you are still feeling so bad. Pay attention to see if it happens again, it may drop slightly and you just don't know it.

As we say over and over, be sure you are well hydrated when exercising. Start with a slow warm-up, don't jump right in to it full speed. Gradually build up and slow down with a cool down. Don't stop exercising abruptly. That can cause blood pooling in your legs, deprive your brain of blood and oxygen.

In any case, your doctor needs to know you have had these symptoms.

Take care - Linda

Comment

Also Shirley, those HR monitors on exercise equipment are not very accurate, so you might want to recheck your HR with a more precise monitor to make sure it is accurate.
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Cynthia

I had my daughter do that and that is when we found out all this was going on, I tell you it really got my attention, but now I'm off to get a 48 hour monitor Dr. called yesterday afternoon, he says it's a new symptom for me,

shirley
        Diagnosed 2003
        Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

Shirley, it sounds like you are doing the right thing, I hope it all goes well for you.
          Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
          ICD&Pacemaker 1996
          Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
          Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Shirley,

This was exactly my experience before treatment. My daughter and I signed up for the same gym. I often told her that the pulse measurement on such-or-such a machine was broken because my pulse would rise at first and then plummet. Each time I felt strange, but dismissed my symptoms as impossible. She told me later that she wondered at the time because the pulse measurement always worked fine for her. Finally, after that happened one day, I began feeling very strange and laid down on the crunch bench, heard my heart beat get slower and slower and finally lost consciousness. So, yes, personally I think that this seems to be a major problem.

Rhoda

Comment

HI everyone

I got back on the stair stepper last night as per dr.'s orders, and this time my heartrate rose but it was irregular again, my husband took my BP and before I started it was 126/83 which is high for me and pulse 93, during the test it was 189/104 Pulse 122, and after the test 148/89 pulse 135, during is when it was irregular, so i have written this all down to give to the doctor, now my bp is 104/68 pulse 67, you know I have never had an irregular heartbeat in my life, but I could have because I didn't feel much different when I did have an irregular heartbeat, my heartrate didn't fall this time that figures it did 3 day prior to this, well we will see I'm getting back on it this morning when my neighbor gets over here to spot me everyone have a great day

Shirley
              Diagnosed 2003
              Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

Still no word on my Holter monitor test, but today I was walking and took my blood pressure and It was 108/54 and pulse 88 and irregular, will let you know something as I find out

Shirley
                Diagnosed 2003
                Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

10,000 foot level it sounds like you need accurate info. Personally I would back off on the exercising until you get a definitive answer. Passing out while exercising is not a safe event (been there, hit my head, done that).

Hope you find it soon!

Dave

Comment

Hi Shirley:

Yes...keep us posted.

My HR doesn't drop on exercise, but my BP drops and then goes back up. Also, the last couple of days, my HR has started taking off on excursions. Regular HR is about 80, but for no apparent reason it jumps to 110 for about 10 minutes and then backs down, go figure.

Sounds like BP wise you and I are similar. My normal BP (whatever normal is these days) is around 105/60 with a HR of 80.

I've seen my BP as low as 85/54 during normal daily activities and right after exercise in the 140/85 range with a HR of 92.

I can't figure out the relationship between exercise and BP and HR. I know mine is not normal...and that's about it.

bucky
                    Diagnosed in June 2007, Pacemaker Oct 2007, Myectomy in Feb 2009 at Cleveland Clinic, Two daughters, both checked with Ultrasounds in 2008, all OK so far. Two grandchildren both check with Ultrasounds and all is OK to date. OH YES....Harry, the Doggie, says Hi also. sigpic

Comment

Ok I got word and the doc wants to see me but the soonest is Sept 23rd, I had an appt on Nov 4th they just moved it up, What I'm having is Sinus tachycardia but higher then the doctor likes it so he wants to see me and he has upped my beta blocker to see if it works to slow it down

Shirley
                      Diagnosed 2003
                      Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

Shirley hope you get it all straightened out..let us know how it goes.

Bucky.. just making an observation here. It may be more beneficial to take your BP only 1 x / day when you get up or at the most 2 x's, unless your doctor has advised you otherwise.

The BP ranges will vary quite broadly on all HCM individuals as well as normal individuals. The fact that you have established that it fluctuates so readily and frequently throughout your day and activity schedule is not going to reveal any significant data that will change things .. it sorta is what it is and symptoms may elicit more opportunity for you to intervene.. as stopping the activity .. resting ..hydrating.

Pam
                        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Working...
                        X