If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dizzy Miss Lizzy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Bucky Engineer by Education, Self Professed Expert in Nothing Find out more about Bucky
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dizzy Miss Lizzy

I'd like to take a small survey. I read alot about people suffering from dizziness in various threads and that is probably my main complaint. It seems to be worse when I am on meds (probably because they drop my BP), but in general, about 65% of the time when I stand up, I have to stand still for up to 30 seconds (or more) to stabliize before I can continue walking to where I am going. Sometimes when I stand up I don;t get dizzy at all (15% of the time) and the rest of the time I might stand up, start walking and then get dizzy after I've been walking a few steps.

Can anyone relate to this or am I nuts????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because if I am not nuts yet, it is driving me nuts.

Strangely enough, I never get dizzy just sitting around or once I am walking unless I really push the walking.

thanks for your inputs family,

bucky
    Diagnosed in June 2007, Pacemaker Oct 2007, Myectomy in Feb 2009 at Cleveland Clinic, Two daughters, both checked with Ultrasounds in 2008, all OK so far. Two grandchildren both check with Ultrasounds and all is OK to date. OH YES....Harry, the Doggie, says Hi also. sigpic

Re: Dizzy Miss Lizzy

I can relate to this... but you still may be nuts.
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Oh yes, it's real. Dizziness upon standing from sitting, bending over, laying down, kneeling, you name it. You're not crazy.

Debbie

Comment

What you're describing is pretty common. Search for "orthostatic hypotension" and you'll see that it's pretty well known.

Yes, many of the drugs that many of us take can contribute to this. So can being even slightly dehydrated.

Gordon
        Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Good to know that I am not nuts.....we'll at least about this.

Might I ask..............................so what can we do about this????? or are we just stuck with it????

I am sensing the "A" word......."acceptance". I am not liking this word very much these days...but It may apply in the case of dizziness.

As an aside, this aspect of HCM should make for an interesting group at the annual meeting. I can see it now, a session ends, the audience stands up and they all fall over...........very trendy in HCM circles.

bucky
          Diagnosed in June 2007, Pacemaker Oct 2007, Myectomy in Feb 2009 at Cleveland Clinic, Two daughters, both checked with Ultrasounds in 2008, all OK so far. Two grandchildren both check with Ultrasounds and all is OK to date. OH YES....Harry, the Doggie, says Hi also. sigpic

Comment

Maybe we could all do the Hokey Pokey ( first) and then all fall down...LOL

Yes common issue and ACCEPTANCE, after reasoning and any ill issues are fathomed out, is good.

I often am known to get dizzy while doing nothing and sometimes talking ( usually to my kids) and getting too animated while I talk.( my kids words) I am probably expecting way too much oxygen at the time!

Personally I do not think I pause long enough to take a good breath. More breathing needed,please. Interesting, another problem.. I get a lot of chest pain when I am sitting quietly and barely taking essential breaths and deep breathing can sometimes back it off for me.

I think we are a horse of a different breed!

Pam
            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I get it too. And Bucky, I know you're a taco shy of a combo plate!
              Pam's suggestion is a good one - Take a deep breath before.
              I've learned to rise real slowly (I call it my Tai Chi Move). but don't always remember to do it.

One thing that happens to me and I'm sure to of all of you - Do
              you get near Syncope when laughing? That is scary as it comes on to fast & sudden.
              Marc
              Diagnosed @ 48
              Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
              Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
              AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
              After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
              Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Hey MBCube:

My Dr. told me to rise slowly. I told him that if I rise so slowly as to not get dizzy the rest of the people in the room will be on their way home by 20 minutes before I make my first step. I mean just how slowly do your want me to rise.....

I'll try the breathing thing.....anything that helps will be appreciated.

bucky

Comment

I don't have HCM, so my suggestion might not be much help, especially if the dizziness is due to orthostatic hypotension, but I get short of breath when I walk up stairs too fast, especially when I'm talking animatedly to someone, which is often the case. If I take a deep breath before I take the first stair, then a few more on the way up, I feel much better when I reach the top.
                  Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                  3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Lizzy:

I feel your pain. I was diagnosed about 8 years ago with very, very mild symptoms. I fainted back in October for the first time and scared the daylight out of me. Just in the last month, I've been experiencing the dizziness just as you described and yes, it really is trying my nerves. Of course, the Holter monitor showed nothing.

I was wondering if anyone feels a "head rush" as opposed to the dizziness when they stand or walk. Remember when you were a kid and hung upside down on the monkey bars with your knees and the blood rushed to your head? This is what I've been getting as well. Just wondering if I'm the only one, as I often read about the dizziness symptom, but the head rush feels completely different.

Coleen P

Comment

I just love the fainting stuff. You wake up and eveyone else is running around and you are like, "So what's up, why is everyone excited"...that is of course unless you hit your head and did some real damage......hope not.

Since I got a Pacemaker I have not fainted, so perhaps that phase of this lovely condition is behind me......

take care,

bucky

Comment

Hello
                        I am newly diagnosed and as I read here I find myself saying "OmG, it's not just me!" again.
                        I find that in particular, I have to be sure to rise slowly after awakening to avoid the head rush. This is in the morning, but even more so if I wake to visit the throne room during the night. I'm used to not trying to fully "come to" to take care of this chore, but for some time now I have had to, in order to be sure I don't wipe out on my way. I have gotten dizzy and fallen.
                        Another time I get a rush is when I have stood in one position for a while. I try to make a point of bending my knees and moving around to avoid this.
                        This has been my experience since well before I started Atenolol. Now that I consider it, it hasn't happened as much lately. I don't know if I can credit the medication, my paying attention to how I get out of bed, or both. Probably both.
                        Thanks for your post!
                        Barbara

Comment

Ah yes the midnight trip to the John.......I have a favorite wall I lean against to make sure I get there without crashing and burning.

bucky

Comment

Working...
                          X