If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morbid member facing morbid outcome.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

DLCC2 Find out more about DLCC2
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morbid member facing morbid outcome.

As much as I look at myself as loving, intelligent person who has perservered (sp) overcome extreme trauma(s), licked nicotine and a cocaine needle addiction 20 yrs ago, here I sit starring at possible death from HOCM.

Is there anyone out there who has had either a Alcohol Ablation or a Myectomy who is at l00lbs over weight?

Scared in Oregon.

Re: Morbid member facing morbid outcome.

Yes! I am about 150 lbs over what is recommended for my height. I did well with the surgery and I am now trying to lose weight because I am needing another surgery but it is because I went for so long before dx that the damage was extensive. I am the exception to the rule because this does not happen to everyone.

You can PM me if you have more questions.
    Nikki
    ------
    "I will live each day with the love and help of my family and friends."

Diagnosed w/ HOCM Feb. '05, ICD April '05, Myectomy Dec. 13th, 2005 at NEMC
    Wire fractured, ICD and wire replced on 10/17/2008.
    Adopted in 1979, no medical history passed on other than born with a murmur and leaky valve.
    Married 9 years to the greatest husband that a woman could want.
    Mother to a wonderful 9 year old boy. So far he is negative for signs of HCM.

Comment

Hi and welcome here

Congratulations on your accomplishments. I recently kicked nicodine and it was one heck of an ordeal. I am proud of myself and you should be, too.

When I had my myectomies I wasn't overweight, but I'm sure there will be some people that will chime in.

Take care and hope to see you post more here.
      Esther

Comment

Oregon...Congrats on kicking your addictions first of all!! As a smoker myself I know how tough it is. I had my mectomy 6 months ago and was and still am about 75lbs (or more) overweight. I had no problems w/ the surgery due to my weight issues, thankfully. I am back to exercise and hopefully will start losing. As for the smoking...?????
        Diagnosed Aug 2006 Myectomy 10/25/06 ICD 07/18/08

Comment

You are indeed among friends here. Was over 150 pounds overweight when I had my myectomy . Did well considering all. You have done great kicking your addictions. It should not be a morbid outcome but a brighter happier future once you get a good plan going for your HCM.

Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Was 75 pounds over at the time of my septal ablation. Absolutely no problems and currently exercising and losing. Your coronary arteries need to be clear in order to perform the ablation so the condition of your arteries will play a larger role than your weight.
            Preston

Comment

Huge thanks to everyone out there who responded to this post. I was feeling so hopeless. I was told by a Dr. at Cleveland hospital that my chances if I had to have surgery of any kind were pretty bleak.

I've been swimming and walking and trying very hard to loose weight. I have been in an eating disorder group run by a licensed pyschologist. No big surprise that a lot of us are emotional eaters and I am definetly there in spades. Just a week before I landed in ER, I was considering stomach surgery or the Remuda Ranch which has now opened it's doors to compulisive overeaters besides bulemics and anorexics. So it's not like I'm not in there trying.

Thanks again for your support and I'll be in here more often now as things progress. I hope one day I can support someone who is in similar shoes.

Hopeful in Oregon

Comment

DLCC2,

Hang in there! I remember well your trip to cleveland and how disappointed you were. I'm glad to see you back on the board and posting.

I don't think I'm over-generalizing when I say that we HCM'ers as a group are NOT a skinny bunch. There are exceptions of course but if the entire group were surveyed and everyone answered honestly, I believe we would see that the vast majority of us are considered obese by the current definition. And many of us are well-above that.

I was 70 pounds over my 'ideal' body weight when I had my myectomy in 2004 and I had nothing less than a textbook recovery. It simply could not have gone smoother than it did. There were many factors that contributed to that of course, but I also contribute part of my smooth recovery to a healthy appetite and getting back to a regular diet very quickly after surgery. Of course that might also be a massive rationalization but it's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Please continue to keep us posted.

Jim
                "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

You know after I jumped ship and went to another HCM doctor, the weight factor was not as focused on and it certianly was not the biggest obstacle for a myectomy. I remember that the prior HCM doc would say that NO INTERVENTION would work and I was a big risk all the way around. What he should have focused on was that my HCM heart was complex and a myectomy may not have made ALL the difference in my feeling better. I am sort of glad he was not good at conveying that, cause if I had bought into his guidance,followed that path, more then likely I would be six feet under now.

Second opinions often help, sometimes even a third.. Thank you Dr. Marty Maron for saving my life., for saying those wonderful words, " I think we may be able to help you here @NEMC."

Hang in there!

Pam
                  Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                  Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                  Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                  SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                  [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( gradien[email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                  Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                  Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                  Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Working...
                  X