If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systolic vs. Diastolic

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

nzelich Find out more about nzelich
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systolic vs. Diastolic

Although both my systolic and diastolic readings are in normal range, my systolic is at the upper end of normal at about 118, while my diastolic is at lower at about 58. Is this still normal? Is there anything I should be alarmed about with them being so far apart and especially with my HCM heart?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Nick

Re: Systolic vs. Diastolic

Thanks for all the insight!

Comment

Sorry, I don't really know the answer to your question. I think it's pretty normal for HCM hearts, though. I know my husband's has been similar and his doctors have never made a mention of it.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

The 1st Number: Systolic pressure is the pressure generated when the heart contracts.
        The 2nd Number: Diastolic pressure is the blood pressure when the heart is relaxed.

Most HCMers are on some type of medication , beta blocker, calcium channel blocker or a combination of both. The results will be a varied reading from drugs alone . One must also factor in the multitude of variants that directly effect each individuals BP from reading to reading at any given fragmant of time throughout the course of a days activity.

The goal for medicated HCM hearts is to lower the diastolic pressure in order to maximize the filling time allowing for more blood volume to then be pumped to the body for maximum activity / life demands. I would say that your heart is functioning as it should be for an HCM heart and that the goal of relaxing during filling is being achieved.

See this link for a simple chart on Bp.

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medi...d-pressure.htm

Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

As an EMT the only time we were trained to be wary of variences in the systolic/ diastolic was when they were too close together. If they were less than twenty points apart then we needed to address it. Typically, this only occurs in brain injuries.

As far as what you were discussing I've seen plenty of folks with hbp have 210 over 100 and that is a large difference. I was freaking out over the 210 part but not the space in between.

Mary S.

Comment

Working...
          X