If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need Cough Medicine

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Ivan Find out more about Ivan
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need Cough Medicine

Hi, my name is Ivan. I'm just wondering what off the counter cough medications I can take. I know there are some I can't take and I don't remember which ones they are. I know there is a Robitussin I can take but I can't remember which specific Robitussin it is. I take Bisoprolol Fumurate for my heart and Zoloft and Wellbutrin for anxiety. If anyone could send some input this way, I would very eppreciative. Thank you.

Re: I need Cough Medicine

Check with your Dr. to be 100% sure but I was always able to take plain Robitussin or Robitussin DM. Good luck.
    Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
    ICD&Pacemaker 1996
    Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
    Mom of Kaye.

Comment

your pharmacist should be able to tell you but the terms to avoid are anything with epinephrine, ephedrine, or "non-drowsy" formulas. they are stimulants that can cause palpitations and tachycardia.

also, i've found that steam is the best cough medicine. crank up your shower all the way, stuff a towel under the door and sit on the sink (steam rises) for as long as you have hot water and also drink a lot of hot decaf/caffiene free tea.

saunas and steam rooms are too hot for HCMers. You can also use a vaporiser from the drug store. (not a humidifier or "cool mist").

s

Comment

Ivan,

I take Robitussin Sugar Free Cough medicine. It is specially formulated for diabetics; but, controls coughs and loosens and relieves chest congestion.

It is sugar-free, fructose-free, sorbitol-free, dye-free, carbohydrate-free and alcohol-free.
        The active ingredients are Dextromethorphan HBr, USP 10 mg. for cough suppressant and Guaifensin, USP 100 mg. for expectorant. Inactive ingredients are acesulfame potassium, citric acid, flavors, glycerin, methylparaben, polyethylene glycol, povidone, propylene gylcol, saccharin sodium, sodium bensozte and water.

I haven't had to use it lately, as it's been three years since I've had a cold!

I have used a generic diabetic cough syrup before that. They both worked wonders on me. Hope this helps,
        Dorothy

Diagnosed 1996, Myectomy Aug. 2000, 3 Radio-frequency ablations for a-fibs 2003-2005.

Comment

I will mimick Sarah's post. You have to stay away from any ingredients that will cause your heart rate and blood pressure to increase. No epinephrine, sudaphedrine, or decongestants. For other cold symptoms the general rule is:
          The over the counter brands should have an "HBP" after the name. These are made specifically for people with high blood pressure. But, always look at your ingredients.

Hope ya feel better!
          God Bless!
          Sherry
          tommysgirl wishes you a blessed day with many laughs and smiles along the way!

Wife of Tommy Hall passed 9/22/07
          HOCM, (AA x2, CABG, RFA, Myectomy x2, Maze)
          Tomy 13
          Amber 25
          grandchildren Aiden 6, Maddie 4

Comment

one should always ask their health care providers for this information. but the suggestion s given peviously are all good. roitussin is the only otc my dr. approves of. alos take a tablet to your drs. appts and right thing to ask and the answers in your tablet. this helps later because some of the information from your dr. can be hurried and a lot of the time we are overwhelmed with the visit and the outcomes.

Billy Berry
            Be not only GOOD; But, BE GOOD for SOMETHING!

Comment

Working...
            X