If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anxiety and hcm?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Gary Jackson Find out more about Gary Jackson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anxiety and hcm?

would anxiety be any association with hcm?

thank u

Gary

Yes absolutely. You have to remeber that each is different and depending on oxygen needs , consumption, function of the individual heart , there are degrees of variation. This is one activity that can trigger anxiety as with feeling SOB . There are many different activities that we experience that can put this in motion or trigger an anxiety reaction. Emotional stress, physical activity, medical state just to name a few. Many times doctors unfamiliar with HCM will reduce it to simple anxiety. There is nothing simple about HCM and how it effects each individual.

Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Gary

Just having this disease is enough to give you anxiety, but i have had anxiety for years, in fact my pcp doc thought it was anxiety but to be on the safe side he decided to run a stress test and echo being there was heart problems on my dads side and my age, so yes i do believe there is an anxiety problem with HCM

Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004
      Husband: Ken
      Son: John diagnosed 2004
      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Hi Gary
        I believe that anxiety and HCM are connected. When you are dx with this disease and know NOTHING about it, you want answers. When I was first diagnosed in 1973 and 20 yrs old, not much was known about HCM. I was basically a ginny pig. I was hospitalized while the doctors ran various tests. I can remember I was sleeping and a doctor came in my room. He said, "I'm the doctor that is going to perform your surgery". I NEVER saw this doctore before or heard his name mentioned by my cardiologist. When my cardiologist came in later that day, I told him what happened. He said, "NO WAY! He has never performed this type of surgery. Talk about anxiety!
        You don't know what to expect and this disease can from one person to another.

Yes, anxiety is normal with HCM.

Take care
        Esther

Comment

Im glad you asked this...i used to (and still do, but not very badly) have severe panic attacks and anxiety before i knew I had HCM...i had no clue they went hand in hand....
          ~Wendy~
          Wife to Robert
          Mom to Sara (almost 16mths)

Hypotrophic Cardiomyopathy with ICD placement

Comment

Working...
          X