If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myectomy/alchol septal albation bpm question

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

scottonbike Find out more about scottonbike
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myectomy/alchol septal albation bpm question

Hello again

Recently I have heard that if you have had a myectomy you need to keep the heart rate under 110 for the duration of your life. I am sure that each person is taken on a case by case basis and that number may go up or down for various reasons.

My question, is that if you have had a septal albation do you have the same sort of constraints?

Scott

er, not so much on a bike anymore, more on a golf cart.
    Every day is a present I was diagnosed when I was 38, I have asthma which made me assume it was ashtma, getting old, and being about 30 lbs over what I should be. I have days when I would rather not know. Myectomy club 3Jan06 CCF, my life is so much better!!!!

I also want to ask about this. The first post that was made about this said that everyone who had HCM should stay below 110, but now everyone seems to be relating this to myectomies. Can someone check their notes from the meeting and clarify this.

Rhoda

Comment

when I went through cardiac rehab they told me to figure out my target heart rate. Which is 200 minus your age. Then take 80% of that. Then they said to drop it around another 20% more because of the heart. So, we got a target rate of about 135 with a max of 140.

This worked well for me because I got that high walking 3.0 mph with a zero gradient.

I'm non obstructed so it may be different for obstructed

Mary S

Comment

We may need a clarification from Lisa.

Keeping you heart rate down and not lifting heavy weight is, as I understand it, for all HCM patients not just those of us that have had myectomys.

The thinking is that the heart is a mussel and working mussel is how you enlarge or thicken it. With that in mind, why would this be only for myectomy patients? Thickened heart mussel is our entire problem.

Dr Lever is the one that mentioned it at the meeting & it was agreed by the other doctors there. I believe that on the message board it has come from Dr Lever’s myectomy patients (I being one).

Stuart
        myectomy 8-31-04
        Cleveland Myectomy Club
        August 31, 2004

Comment

Ditto to Stuart's post...

I'm a patient of Dr. Lever's also, and have explicit instructions (in writing no less) to keep my heartrate under 110 bpm. That's no problem of course because with my beta blockers I can't get my heartrate anywhere near that anyway. I'm also under a 10 pound lifting restriction (still) and my docs show no signs of letting up on that restriction any time soon.

I had thought that these rules were different for everybody and mine were set based on my specific case, but it sounds like the other docs at the conference were in agreement as well. As Stuart suggested, I believe the clarification we require is whether or not these guidelines apply to all HCM'ers, or just those who are post-procedure, be it myectomy or ablation.

Jim
          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

When I went thru cardiac rehab last year, my limit was set at 130. The closest I ever got was 128 on a tread-mill. The nurses shut me down at that point. I was never really given a weight limit after rehab was complete (12 weeks). I was just told no heavy weight lifting.

I'm going to check next week when I'm up at CCF...

Tigger1
            " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger1
              When I went thru cardiac rehab last year, my limit was set at 130. The closest I ever got was 128 on a tread-mill. The nurses shut me down at that point. I was never really given a weight limit after rehab was complete (12 weeks). I was just told no heavy weight lifting. I'm going to check next week when I'm up at CCF...
              Thanks Tigger... that will be most helpful. To be honest, I am a bit confused by all of this. I have thought that for the most part I had a great recovery from the myectomy, but nonetheless I continue to be under strict limitations regarding heartrate and weight lifting. I'll be very interested in hearing what Dr. Lever has to tell you on this matter. Please be sure to post back to us.

Jim
              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I think we are overlooking the dissaray of the cardiac cell make-up of our hearts. Higher rates and burst activities can lead to chaos and consequencailly an arrythmia can develope ( sometimes fatal). Some of us have defibrilators ( albeit flawed and soon to be removed; some of you do not)

Don't forget to factor this in.

Pam
                Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X