If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confused

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

shirleymahoney Born In Tulsa Oklahoma and have a wonderful husband and 2 great children Find out more about shirleymahoney
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused

Ok I have been to see Dr. Maron in Minn and his collegues and i'm told by them if i do things and it makes me sweat not to do them, but here in Virginia these Dr.s say watch your fluid and start walking he wants me to work up to 2 miles and i swell really bad and pant like a dog just walking around the house, if i climb my stairs i have to find a place to sit down so i can catch my breath, i have a small yard and it was 68 outside and I thought i would try to cut some grass well i got the front done taking 3 breaks, i bet 20 swipes with the mower and my front yard is done, i just don't know what to do these docs are confusing me my gut tells me i should follow what the Docs in Minn tell me, but i don't want to go against these docs either, and my husband is still mad at me because i mowed the other day Please Help Confused?????????

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Shirley ,

Sorry to hear you are struggling so much.

Now a walk on flat surface, ever so slow and with breaks may just help to circulate things for you and get a little more oxygen into your system , BUT mowing the lawn Shirley? No , No ... I think far too strenuous and stressfull for your heart and lungs. Remember you may not be on the transplant list yet , but your heart still is at a very compromised level of functioning. I know your quality of life is no where what you want and I probably echo many here by saying I wish we could change this for you. The sad thing is we cannot and you are in the wait and see game. Please listen to your MINN docs and , Ithink they would agree a short ,slow, tolerable , mangeable stroll maybe OK, but not something that exhausts and leads to further strain and damage to your heart.

Hang in there kiddo.

Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Shirley, I ditto what Pam says. PLEASE do not try to mow again. Why is it those of us with chronic illness try to prove how healthy we are. You only lose ground for a few days when you do things like that. So listen to Dr. Maron do some walking short distances, and you can gradually build up. First try one block. Take care of yourself.
      Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
      ICD&Pacemaker 1996
      Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
      Mom of Kaye.

Comment

If it is a choice between what Dr. Maron says and what the local guy says, I would go with Dr. Maron every single time. No question.

The man literally wrote the book on HCM. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Shirly, I don't know what to tell you. I just wish I could help you and all the others here that are having so many problems.

Sometimes when I read the letters from other people it makes me fell so bad that I just don't know how to fell. I am very glad I don't have the problems that others have but I kind of fell bad that not everyone has as few symptoms as I do.

Just remember that we are all praying for you and having good thoughts for you.
          Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Comment

Working...
          X