If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sinus infection and cough

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

dreamcatchinglady Find out more about dreamcatchinglady
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sinus infection and cough

Hi everyone,
    Last week I went to my primary care because I had a sinus infection and wasn't getting better at all. She put me on a z pack and I don't really feel better at all. My sinuses aren't as bad but I still have my sore throat and 3 days ago got a cough. With my hcm I have problems breathing especially at night and am using at least 4 pillows to prop myself up and trying to sleep I even cough more. Even when I lay flat. I just wondered if anyone could relate or had any suggestions. I went to my cardiologist today and he said hope I get over this soon. Thanks.
    Kimberly K. Plaster

Hi Kimberly,

Get well! All that coughing is especially bad for you because of your severely weakened heart. It is not good for any of us, but really bad for you. So, please rest, gargle with warm salty water to help your throat, find the position in which you cough the least and try to get some sleep, even if it is hanging off the edge of a sofa, etc.

And, yes, even though I don't have such a severe HCM problem as you, I can definitely relate. I have had pneumonia 4 times in the past three years and always had a sinus infection with it. Nasty stuff and hard to get over. There is little blood flow to your sinuses or the interior spaces of your lungs, so it is hard to heal these areas. I also have used Z-pacs each time, but all but one time have had to take more than one to get well. Each time I would get somewhat better, but not completely, so I would have to take another one (or in one case a total of 4 of them). So, how long ago did you get the Z-pac? If it helped, but did not heal, you may want to ask the doctor about trying another, or possibly switching to another antibiotic. I don't switch because I am allergic to many antibiotics.

Please get well!

Rhoda

Comment

Please use the Search function at the top of the board to find the posts that include the phrase "neti pot" authored by me. those threads are full of cold remedy/sinus infection help.

and water, rest, and feel better soon.

Comment

Kimberly.

I can relate although I have no magic remedies. Sarah's posts might be your best bet. I have discovered that sotolol can pre-dispose one to bronchial issues. Each year since I have been on my present dose I have had the crazy coughing, low grade fever, and general yuckies.

I hope you get better soon.

Leon
        God Squad co-moderator
        Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

The only added thing is that for me, a little vics vapor rub on my chest or for me under my nose , really helps when I am all stuffed up. That old fashioned remedy still gets the air moving in and out. It maybe worth a try for you.

Feel better.

Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I can't help with the cough, because I still have that, but I do have a suggestion about the sinus infections--at least for the future. I take about 1200 mg of guafenesin (one brand is Humabid) daily. It can be gotten by prescription or over the internet without a prescription (look up fibromyalgia--evidently it is taken for that too). It thins the mucus so that it doesn't get stuck in my sinuses. It has cut my sinus infection rate down by about 800%.

Now to find the fix for the cough.

Hope you are better soon!

Sue

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X