If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Life Insurance?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Chuck Find out more about Chuck
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Insurance?

would that be a pipe-dream for us?

I ask because I've been browsing through here, and read several posts that say that our life expectancy is the same as the general population. I've also read that we HCMers are at increased risk of SCD. these "facts" seem to be in direct conflict, to my neanderthal brain.

anyone care to explain?

I've always assumed that more life insurance would simply be unavailable, due to that pesky SCD side-effect. However, I've never actually "asked". I have what I had before my diagnosis, plus what my employer provides...plus the extra I can get without any questions being asked...which is about as much as I figure I can afford, anyway.
    dx'd HCM @age24, (1989) |Gene + |no family history

insurance

It is all in the statistics. I think it is only about 2 or 3% of all HCM patients who die suddenly each year (it may be higher, but I don't think it is more than 6%).

However, because HCM is a form of cardiomyopathy and cardiomyopathy (dialated) make up 90% of the transplant list, AND the fact that we do die at a higher rate than the general population AND we are very expensive to keep around, any form of cardiomyopathy is an automatic decline for any kind of individual life or health insurance.

Group coverage is always available to those with jobs and sometimes in an industry that has guilds or associations that offer it (eg actors, lawyers, etc) and some states have risk pool health insurance for the likes of us.

Comment

My husband spoke to an underwriter for life insurance last year and he isn't uninsurable, but he'd have to pay a LOT.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

correction

R. yes, i stand corrected. Most insurance companies will decline you outright, a few others will take your money but at insanely high rates. and it is probably term (not whole life which you have equity in).

Comment

I forget which plan we were looking at, but I think you're right. I think it was a lifetime term plan. Our company (that I work for) rates you A, B, C, etc. Hubby would've been rated an F I think, which is VERY expensive. Thank God he still has insurance he bought when he was young and he still has insurance through the military!

Reenie
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Well, that doesn't make sense to me. and I'm only talking about life insurance, here. not "health". and life insurance is simply a bet that we're going to die prematurely. we bet that we will, the insurance co. bets that we won't, and the odds are stacked in favor of the house. if the odds (statistics) say that we ARE likely to die prematurely, they won't take the bet.

since they won't take the bet, that can only mean that they think we aren't going to live long enough for them to profit from our premiums before they have to pay out. which means that we have a lower life expectancy.

now, I don't know all the ins and outs of the inner workings of the actuarial system that they use, but I didn't think they used similies to assess risks..."kinda like this disease, kinda like that disease...". it is what it is. "cardiomyopathy" is way too broad a term to use to lump a whole bunch of people together. and I thought they were a little more sophisticated than that.

oh, well.
            dx'd HCM @age24, (1989) |Gene + |no family history

Comment

Life insurance is going to be based on diagnosis, family history and medical management. The diaganosis alone does NOT exclude you from insurance - it will cost a great deal more then your friends policies but it is obtainable.

For this reason we always recommend that all family members get a life insurance policy PRIOR to screenings. If you are past that point then it is best to shop around for the best price. Sometimes it is through your employer others through group associations (sorry no takers yet to write a group policy for the HCMA!).

Best wishes,
              Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Working...
              X