If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Effects of food

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

julie Find out more about julie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SandraHuskins
    replied
    First time using message board, great insight to food, what do we know about caffeine - tea, coffee and carbonated drinks

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied
    Re: Effects of food

Many people have similar symptoms and find that eating several small meals instead of 3 regular meals help to decrease the symptoms. Try that and see if it helps.

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• TrappedIllusion
    replied
    Re: Effects of food

My worst symptoms associated with HCM are after eating food. A couple years ago it used to be every few days in the evening, then it would happen every day in the evening, and for the last few months it happens after breakfast/lunch/dinner!

It's just something that I haven't been able to figure out. I know that eating larger or fatty meals makes it worse, but now even if I eat a small croissant for breakfast, I will get pain. It's frustrating because now even eating smaller meals doesn't help.

What happens is about 15-30 minutes after eating, I start getting chest tightness/pain and I can't really pinpoint where the pain is originating from. Sometimes it feels like it's from my chest, sometimes a little lower near my stomach, and I get this generalized pain around my left arm/shoulder/back/neck, sometimes extending down to my wrist. I may or may not get short of breath. Lying down makes it worse, which puts me in a very awkward position because I feel so exhausted due to my symptoms that I want to lie down but I can't because it becomes unbearable if I do.

My cardiologist is aware of my symptoms, but doesn't know that it has become more frequent (I will tell him at my next visit). I was just wondering if anyone experiences anything similar and if medication or other treatments have worked for them?? I've tried a number of different beta blockers and have tried verapamil (but had to stop it due to constipation) and nothing has worked too well for me (right now I'm on metoprolol). I've recently tried ranitidine (zantac) and sometimes it helps a little, and sometimes not at all. I'm hoping to try Nexium soon or another proton pump inhibitor to see if it provides any relief.

Anyone with similar symptoms or have tried something that works?

Leave a comment:

• jmurray
    replied
    Before my myectomy to remove the obstruction that I had, I always had problems after eating. It didn't seem to matter what was going in. About 90% of the time after eating I would get chest pain and feel overall like crap, sometimes with crazy heart beats. Since the surgery I haven't felt like that at all. Before the surgery I could combat it a bit by eating very small amount more often instead of sitting down and having a normal size meal.

John

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied
    Baer,

Maybe that is because he doesn't have HCM. We live in a whole different world sometimes

Pam

Leave a comment:

• baer
    replied
    Thank You

I JUST ASK MY DOCTOR THAT SAME QUESTION LAST WEEK AND HE LOOKED AT LIKE I WAS NUT.

Leave a comment:

• Grecoeuro
    replied
    Don't take your beta blockers and the pig out on Tandoori Chicken!!!!

Trust me!!

Theo

Leave a comment:

• michael obrien
    replied
    Hi everyone,I have a problem if I eat a moderate to heavy meal,and then try and walk etc.I have less of a problem if I eat light and then go for a walk.I have a problem with heavy foods,oils,cakes etc.I just dont feel well after.one thing that I have read is not good for hcm people is hot and spicy foods.here I draw the line I put hot sauce on everything(Im a big rice &beans man )I dont know what I would do if the hot sauce had to go to.well i hope all are well take care mike

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    MODERATION - I found to be the key. Heavy foods are simply too much for my system to take. Too much chocolate can make me feel palpitations (good for me I have a rather high tolerance in this area!) and some foods just do not make me feel well - so I avoid them.

Some foods will interact with some medications and it hits different people different ways.

Best wishes and happy meals!
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Debbie
    replied
    Sarah,

Thanks. I don't eat huge meals everytime... only sometimes. Seriously, though, I don notice symtoms with most meals. I don't get it.

I have talked to my doctor about it, and he prescribed Nexium, saying it must be an esophageal problem.

I took it, it doesn't help, I still feel the same way. Exactly like everyone else described. Chest tightness, weak in the limbs, dizzy, etc.

Thanks for the answers, guys. It's good to find others who experince the same things. (I'm not just a whiner )

I hope if there are more of you out there who have the same symtoms after eating, you will reply. It's interesting.

Debbie

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied
    green tea

The only safety warning I found on green tea was that you shouldn't have it while pregnant as it can lower your folic acid levels.

assuming you aren't drinking twenty cups a day, the only thing that is bad for you would be the caffeine. but they make decaf green tea now too.

http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.or...tract/9/9/3312

Leave a comment:

• jmurray
    replied
    I am also the same as Debbie. I most often do not feel well after eating even if it is a reasonably small meal. Breakfast is typically the only meal that does not have too much of an effect on me. I always thought that it was because I take my meds in the morning and they are helping the heart out. Maybe by the evening the meds effect have worn off????

The whole thing is crazy - If I do have a meal and DON'T feel bad after it is a huge blessing.

John

Leave a comment:

• Gary Jackson
    replied
    I also have what debbie experiences no matter what I eat if i begin to walk or exercise after i eat ( wthin 2 hours) I have dyspensa and chest trightness. other than that i am symptom free

Gary

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied
    The only thing I know of with green tea is the caffeine content. I'm not sure, but I think it has less caffeine than black tea, though. If you don't have a problem with caffeine I would think green tea is all right in moderation.

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• cheerchicken05
    replied
    this might sound wierd, but is there anything wrong with green tea?? i was drinking it earlier and my mom said she remembers hearing somewhere that it was bad, i thought she was just going crazy. i've never had a problem with caffine or anything like that before, what do you think?

Leave a comment:

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X