If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Effects of food

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

julie Find out more about julie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone,I have a problem if I eat a moderate to heavy meal,and then try and walk etc.I have less of a problem if I eat light and then go for a walk.I have a problem with heavy foods,oils,cakes etc.I just dont feel well after.one thing that I have read is not good for hcm people is hot and spicy foods.here I draw the line I put hot sauce on everything(Im a big rice &beans man )I dont know what I would do if the hot sauce had to go to.well i hope all are well take care mike
    One day at a time.

Comment

Don't take your beta blockers and the pig out on Tandoori Chicken!!!!

Trust me!!

Theo
      26 years old, diagnosed April 2005. ICD July 2005.

Comment

Thank You

I JUST ASK MY DOCTOR THAT SAME QUESTION LAST WEEK AND HE LOOKED AT LIKE I WAS NUT.

Comment

Baer,

Maybe that is because he doesn't have HCM. We live in a whole different world sometimes

Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Before my myectomy to remove the obstruction that I had, I always had problems after eating. It didn't seem to matter what was going in. About 90% of the time after eating I would get chest pain and feel overall like crap, sometimes with crazy heart beats. Since the surgery I haven't felt like that at all. Before the surgery I could combat it a bit by eating very small amount more often instead of sitting down and having a normal size meal.

John
            41 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in Feb 2005. Myectomy at Mayo on June 8, 2005

Comment

Re: Effects of food

My worst symptoms associated with HCM are after eating food. A couple years ago it used to be every few days in the evening, then it would happen every day in the evening, and for the last few months it happens after breakfast/lunch/dinner!

It's just something that I haven't been able to figure out. I know that eating larger or fatty meals makes it worse, but now even if I eat a small croissant for breakfast, I will get pain. It's frustrating because now even eating smaller meals doesn't help.

What happens is about 15-30 minutes after eating, I start getting chest tightness/pain and I can't really pinpoint where the pain is originating from. Sometimes it feels like it's from my chest, sometimes a little lower near my stomach, and I get this generalized pain around my left arm/shoulder/back/neck, sometimes extending down to my wrist. I may or may not get short of breath. Lying down makes it worse, which puts me in a very awkward position because I feel so exhausted due to my symptoms that I want to lie down but I can't because it becomes unbearable if I do.

My cardiologist is aware of my symptoms, but doesn't know that it has become more frequent (I will tell him at my next visit). I was just wondering if anyone experiences anything similar and if medication or other treatments have worked for them?? I've tried a number of different beta blockers and have tried verapamil (but had to stop it due to constipation) and nothing has worked too well for me (right now I'm on metoprolol). I've recently tried ranitidine (zantac) and sometimes it helps a little, and sometimes not at all. I'm hoping to try Nexium soon or another proton pump inhibitor to see if it provides any relief.

Anyone with similar symptoms or have tried something that works?

Comment

Re: Effects of food

Many people have similar symptoms and find that eating several small meals instead of 3 regular meals help to decrease the symptoms. Try that and see if it helps.

Reenie
                Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

First time using message board, great insight to food, what do we know about caffeine - tea, coffee and carbonated drinks

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X