If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hcm race/sex stats

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

scottonbike Find out more about scottonbike
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hcm race/sex stats

HI

Okay, so about 1 out of 750 people have HCM. I think I have read on the message board that 60% of the people that have been diagnosed with HCM are men and this would mean 40% are women. I also know that a lot of people who have HCM will never be diagnosed for various reasons. (Access to health care, I am out of shape, no symptoms, mis-diagnosed etc.) My assumption is that there is not enough information for my question.

I wonder about the racial aspects of HCM. If you are an American Indian are your odds the same as a person from the Middle east? As a percentage of the population who the greatest and least risk?

Just wondering

Scott
    Every day is a present I was diagnosed when I was 38, I have asthma which made me assume it was ashtma, getting old, and being about 30 lbs over what I should be. I have days when I would rather not know. Myectomy club 3Jan06 CCF, my life is so much better!!!!

HCM is passed on 50% of the time (statistically) so if a parent has HCM and has 4 kids, statistically 2 of them will get HCM also. The mutation is an autosomal dominant trait which means it's not on the X chromosome (sex chromosome) and it's dominant. That means it affects males and females at the same rate. If the gene is passed, you will have a very high probability of developing HCM. I guess some races are more prone to HCM just because they have more population who have it to pass to their progeny, but no race is immune to HCM. That said, some isolated populations have their own typical type of HCM. For instance a lot of people in Japan with HCM have an apical form that affect the bottom tip (apex) of the heart. I hope this helps answer your questions.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

yes Reenie is correct and i have also read that it is because more women are misdiagnosed but this disease doesn't care if you are a man or a woman or color it makes no difference and as far as apical type i have the stiffness also in my heart and iam thick at the apex and throughout

Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004
      Husband: Ken
      Son: John diagnosed 2004
      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

I would also like to add that according to the leading researcher (Dr. Barry Maron) the numbers are
        1 in 500
        people in the general population are at risk of developing HCM. I also understand the condition is equally distributed in both sex and all races.

Not sure where your information was derived, but the information in the book that all members receive will clear up any misconceptions.

Good luck on your search for more answers about HCM and it's prevalence in our world.

Best Regards,
        Sharon Bates

Comment

Kind of related,

As I understood my Naturopath said that a study was done and the results showed that just because someone gets a gene passed on, it wont necessarily develop. Other lifestyle factors affecting the body can affect the gene like, stress, smoking, poor diet, drug or alcohol abuse.
          Does this sound right? Just wondering what you have heard?

Theo
          26 years old, diagnosed April 2005. ICD July 2005.

Comment

That is half right and half wrong. There are those that have the gene that won't express it, but whether the express it or not doesn't have to do with their lifestyle. It is all genetic. They don't really know what turns the gene off or on. If you have the gene, just eating a bad diet isn't going to mean that you are going to develop it or not, but if you do already have the disease, i.e. the expression of the disease, it is better for you to have a healthy lifestyle in terms of living with the symptoms.
            Daughter of Father with HCM
            Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
            Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
            ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
            Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

The facts are that HCM is likely higher then 1 in 500 and is an equal oppurtunity disease. All ages, genders, ethnicities are equally affected.
              If you have the gene you will likely express it at sometime in life, how, when and severity it what we do not know about at this time. We hope to find some links in the future and thereby be able to 'control' things better, however I do not think this will happen for sometime yet.
              best to all,
              lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X