If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any heard of th product?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Gary Jackson Find out more about Gary Jackson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any heard of th product?

My doctor recomended a product called Juice Plus it is suppose to be great for your heart as well as cholesterol.

Gary

I've never heard of it. What's it supposed to do?

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Googling "Juice Plus" returns quite a number of hits, including this

----

CLINICAL SUMMARY
      An extract made of dried fruit and vegetable powders. Juice Plus+® was created by a naturopath, Dr. Humbart "Smokey" Santillo. Based on the creator's notion that the nutritional benefits of fresh fruits and vegetables can be obtained by in a capsule of dried extracts, the supplement is touted as an easy way to help you “feel better”, “look better”, “sleep better”, “get tired less easily”, and “shed a few pounds”. A few small-scale studies have shown that supplementation with Juice Plus+® may increase serum antioxidants (2) (5) as well as protect lymphocytes in the elderly (4). While it is true that nutritional supplementation is important in maintaining health in many segments of the population, particularly the elderly, none of the scientific studies undertaken have sought to prove that Juice Plus+® is more effective or more bioavailable than other supplements. In addition, no studies exist to compare the physiologic effects of supplementation with Juice Plus+® and eating whole fresh fruits and vegetables. Juice Plus+® is distributed through a multi-tiered marketing scheme with exaggerated value and cost.

-----

It seems you can eat the real fruits and veges' or take via supplement. Is your doctor selling this stuff?

Google is your friend!

Rob
      --Living life on the edge .. of a continent!
      Charter member: Tinman Club

Comment

Yes, My HDL( good cholesterol) is 34 and total is 180 so my doc recommneded it to raise my hdl.. cost me 250 bucks for 4 months supply 12 bottles. 3 diiferent types. A fruit blend a veggie blend and a vinegar blend.

It is suppososed to be good for the immune system heart...
        Gary

Comment

Juice plus is a product of a Multi Level Marketing (MLM) organization called NSA. MLM products have a tendency to be more expensive but that doesn;t necessarily mean that their value doesn't match the cost. NSA has made excellent products such as home water & air filters. A dozen years ago, I was a distributor, and even though I haven't been involved for a long time, I still use their water filters (although I try to buy the replacements off ebay).
          This probably doesn't help, but a pre white bronco, OJ, used to be the Juice Plus spokesman.
          My suggestion would be to try a small supply and see if their are any benefits.
          Fx

Comment

Ouch! $250 for a four months supply? That's in the price range for a brand name (not generic) pharmaceutical. I think that's the part of the web site I quoted (Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center) that talks about "exaggerated value and cost" and multi-tiered marketing. It took that quote from the following URL.

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/1157...dID=637&tab=HC

FWIW, my HDL is in the same range as yours. My total cholesterol came down by diet changes (Weight Watchers has worked wonders for my wife and me). My triglycerides used to be elevated and they've been brought down by taking lopid. My total cholesterol is now in the 120 range.

Regards,
            Rob
            --Living life on the edge .. of a continent!
            Charter member: Tinman Club

Comment

There is a tendancy to look at all MLM's and think that they're Rip offs. And there have been plenty of MLM's who have deserved that reputation.
              However, NSA has always been a very good company and their products have always been top notch.
              Personally, I've never tried Juice plus, but this thread has me curious.
              Another negative about MLM's is that it tends to attract alot of people who are not good sales people (it also can attract people who didn't know they can sell, who do very well). Thats where Ebay comes in.
              On Ebay you can get the 4 month supply for about $150. You can also get even smaller supplies too, which is the way too go.
              I saw some auctions for a 1 month supply that I think I may bid on.
              Fx

Comment

thank you for all the reponses. I dont care about cost i only care if any one has used the product and had any sucess with it Since i was recommneded take the product i thought i would share to try to help

Gary

Comment

Working...
                X