If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

palpitations in lower left side

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Sarah Find out more about Sarah
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• palpitations in lower left side

I laid down to go to sleep tonight and I could feel a fluttering in my chest, but much lower down than I usually feel my afib. It was at the base of my ribs, on the far left side.

It was a fluttering, the same fluttering I've seen in my echos, but I could feel a muscle flapping, almost vibrating. It was very scary because I feel my heart beat all the time, just about, and I've never felt anything like this. It is hard to describe. It felt like a flap was beating against the inside of my chest. Yuck.

I took my pulse while it was happening and my pulse seemed to be ok (for me, that is. I'm in afib) but the fluttering was so fast, it was hard to tell if they were in sync.

My heart rate is only 80 but I'm on a lot of Toprol.

Anyone ever get something like this?

Sarah,

When I was pregnant I had a sensation that sounds similar to this very frequently - several times a day, in fact. At first I thought it was the baby moving, but then I felt the baby move and it was different. Since then I have had this sensation less frequently but still fairly often. I have no real idea of what it is, but guess it is a muscle spasm - sort of like an eye twitching. I never considered that it could be my heart, but I guess it is possible.

I am not sure this is any help, but maybe it helps to know that others have had something similar.
    Rhoda

Comment

Sarah -

Been there - Done that - nearly daily. What you have mentioned is my daily reminder that I have HCM. I have been told mine are PVC's and more annoying then anything else. I would get an event monitor and try to catch them, this is a new symptom for you so I would check it out. Do you have a LBBB?

Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

nope

I don't have an LBBB (at least I don't think so--first time someone has used an abbreviation I don't recognize). But I don't have any monitors.

It just sucks because I'm already in afib, for crying out loud, and to have it be even worse it just freaky and unpleasant.

I think it was stress related, whole lotta stuff going on.

I have an appt with Bonow on May 2.

S

Comment

LBBB= left bundle branch block. LBBB shows up on an EKG as an abnormally wide QRS complex. There are also RBBB (right bundle branch blocks). Instead of the ventricles contracting simultaneously, there is a block in the signal to the ventricle, resulting in a wider QRS complex and sequential contraction. I believe that it is not uncommon for people who have HCM to also have a LBBB.
          Vickie

Comment

Yes Sarah

I also have a LBBB and it appeared shortly after my myectomy but it is just a stage one, so i don't have to be treated with meds and i hear they are common

Shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004
            Husband: Ken
            Son: John diagnosed 2004
            Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

ah yes

ah, the ole BBB phenomena. Yeah, I went into BBB once a long time ago.

Hm. Thanks for the input. I also realized that I had a lot of anxiety going on and that probably was most of it.

(my family decided this weekend would be a good time to extole the virtures of having children to me--even though they know that my husband divorced me b/c I can't have kids --oh, yeah, and I'm single and about to be unemployed.)

Nice.

Comment

Hi sarah,Im sorry your not feeling up to speed.I know where your coming from with stress.I definetely notice a difference during periods when Im stressed out.I start having more symptoms and everything builds on itself.I try and do things to relax myself .I enjoy a barber shop shave and a hair cut I can usually loose myself in that experience for about an hour.family can at times get under our skin,and to quote from a jimi hendrix song."loneliness is such a drag".Things will get better they always do (atleast thats what they say)but its better to be positive in any event.Im rambling feel better take care mike ps I was in chicago once for about a week.we stayed at a friend of a friends parents. we had a great time .they lived in the neighborhood where al capone lived.but I cant remember the name. mike
                One day at a time.

Comment

I think I have experienced these, normally when I am lying down in bed. I hadn't attributed it to my condition. It feels too far down and too far to the left to be connected to the heart but I certainly feel a fluttering - its a weird sensation. It feels like a muscle or nerve twitch. It lasts for a few seconds and then disappears. Why do we think that it is connected to the heart? I am convinced it's a nerve.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X