If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

red wine?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Gary Jackson Find out more about Gary Jackson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• red wine?

I understand red wine is good to increase the HDL levels of cholesterol
    ( good cholesterol) . Will red wine have any negative affect of HCM?

thank you

Usually any alcohol is contra-indicated with HCM. It's dehydrating and can cause electrical disturbances. If you choose to drink some, moderation is the key and it's probably a good idea to drink a glass of water per glass of wine.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

how about co q 10 with hcm?

thank you?

Comment

There is not proof that co-q10 actually helps - but some people find it helpful. There is not real data in the medical lit. to prove it one way or the other.
        It does not appear to hurt - but it is expensive - so you may want to think about it before you try. To know if it is helping you would need a good 30-60 days of proper a dose to know if it will have any difference at all.

Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Gary.

When I was in Cleveland I asked Dr. Lever about the use of red wine. He advised me against it - even though I was only drinking 1 smll glass each evening. So I went with the expert.

Leon
          God Squad co-moderator
          Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

I guess no liquor would be taken at all. I have read about liquor being a problem..I never drink wine but I wanted to increase my good cholstoerol (hdl) So maybe I have a glass of OJ daily instead.

thank you

Comment

That’s funny,
              I was told that eating an orange was far superior to drinking a glass of juice. Just look at the difference in fiber on the one hand and sugar on the other.

By the way, I always though ‘red wine’ was the bemoaning of the fate of the Indians.

I guess you learn something new every day.
              Burt

Comment

thanx Burt as usual..... dont need the extra sugar Havet wath my waist line for Passover as well

Gary

good health to all

Comment

Hey Cran-Grape juice is good for lowering your cholesterol too

Shirley
                  Diagnosed 2003
                  Myectomy 2-23-2004
                  Husband: Ken
                  Son: John diagnosed 2004
                  Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

thanx shirley

I dont have to lower cholesterol just raise my good cholestrol. My hdl is 34 and my ldh is 124 and totol is 178 thats why i want to raise my good one

Comment

I'll drink a glass of red wine every now & then & I don't seem to have any more symptoms than usual. My Dr is aware of this & he says OK.At Passover, I don't indulge in 4 cups, tho.
                      RONNIE

Comment

This is a rather interesting topic for discussion. I've never in my life been able to drink red wine. Just one glass and i get an incredible headache and my heart is pounding in my head. On the other hand, i could drink a bottle of JD and not feel quite the same effect. I wonder if there is something specific to red wine and HCM'ers that causes this effect, or if maybe my body just doesn't tolerate it well?

Jim
                        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Hi Gary,I think that eating foods like salmon and other fish high in omega 3 fatty acids might be a better alternative to raising hdl levels than red wine.I dont think it would be worth the risk,but everyone is different maybe your body would tolerate it .take care mike
                          One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Garry,
                            Just woke up from my dumb-out. I hear you about watching your weight and trying to raise your HDL at the same time – and believe it or not there is just such a methodology.

The answer is to exercise – not the burst activity type but the steady activity kind. Walking is excellent, and so is biking (on generally level ground). I’m sure you have the idea – just do whatever you enjoy most, as long as it is a steady, smooth demand on your body and one you can stop whenever you feel the need.

The normal range for HDL is between 40 and 60, with readings below 40 indicative of increased cardiac risk. My old lipid panel blood test reports used to spell out the above methodology for raising your HDL reading, but the current reports do not include that message any longer. I don’t know if it is a different lab or different lab owners, but I’ve committed that message to memory years ago. By the way, my HDL usually runs around the 37 mark.
                            Burt

Comment

Gary,
                              Meant to respond to this earlier.
                              Wine is a passion of mine. I have about 90 bottles in my cellar and 89 of them are red. Zinfindal, Shiraz, and Pinot Noir are my favorites.
                              I am paranoid that my HCM will one day lead me to having to give this up. So far, that has not been the case, although this can be different for each individual.
                              If I eat a heavy meal, with two glasses of wine and no water, I will get an onset of symptoms, even though I am post-Myectomy.
                              The key is water. I try to match a glass of water with each glass of wine. That does the trick.
                              Last October, it was my pleasure to share a dinner out with Lisa and her husband, Adam. We were both sipping wine (and we were both sipping water).
                              Fx

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X