If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

symptoms

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Gary Jackson Find out more about Gary Jackson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• symptoms

when i eat then walk for about 1 hour afterwarsds I walk I get chest discomfort as well as some shortness of breathe? If I stay seated for that hour no pains at all.
    could this be a symptom of hcm?

thank you

This is something that's very common with those who have HCM. The digestive system takes a lot of blood in order to work properly and most HCM'ers have trouble with large meals or exercise after a meal.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Gary

Yes sir this is very common, i get it quite often , in fact i'm having it tonight, Us HCMers are in a unique group of people

Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004
      Husband: Ken
      Son: John diagnosed 2004
      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

The circulation of the heart gets shunted to where it is needed most at any given time. After eating , digestion must occur, therefore blood must go to the digestive system to help process the goodies. (This is one reason that anyone with a heart problem needs to taper there feedings down to smaller more frequent intervals. ) Now because the heart of an HCM person has a filling problem due to the thickening and stiffness of the left ventricle. ( The poor compliance , elasticity of the muscle), makes filling take longer to meet the demand of our body. Now sitting is one thing , if you are asking your HCM heart to take a walk and to digest a big meal at the same time , you may be asking a little too much of your HCM heart. On another day it may be better . Days vary and so do our menus. Our hearts do not always follow the same path day to day. There are multiple variables to consider .

Going back to digestion. Hcm hearts act up very frequently when asked to do too much too fast. You have necessitaed a re-rourting of good portion of blood to do the digestion. The left ventricle acts up in protest to that removal ( temporary ) of volume. ( you will hear us beat the dead horse here ... drink , drink , drink.) HCM hearts need volume and need to be well hydrated to function adequately. While you are digesting the volume is gone elsewhere, not dehydration but similar effect. Your heart doesn't know the difference just that it is now low on need. You will experience various symptoms some specific to you as you have mentioned. This is part of having HCM.

Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

thank you..

could this be the same symptoms as any other probelem like hypertropic left ventricle and NOT Hcm?

or only HCM has this symptom?

Comment

hi Gary,I have had the same problem at different times.I remedied it by walking 2 hours after eating.this way my body has a chance to digest.also I dont know what medications you take but maybe you could tell your cardiologist your complaint and he could add to,or adjust your medication.I know how I felt when I was first diagnosed I was really scared.I was hoping it was all a big mistake,and the people on the message board encouraged me.I want you to hold onto and keep at the forefront of your mind what Lisa said as well as many others.That is that people with hcm can [live full long lives].Just hang in their it will get better.think about all of us when you begin to get anxious.we are surviving and so will you.carpe diem. mike ob
            One day at a time.

Comment

Gary.

I have also noticed when I eat a high carb meal (pasta, rice, deserts etc.) that it does not need to be a large meal to give me that feeling of discomfort. But as was noted above this can vary depending on the day. Sometimes I feel like I could do anything, and other days I feel like I can do nothing. HCM is strange in that way.

It seems to me you are not convinced that you have HCM. And hopefully you do not, but if you do just know that you you can live a long and happy life with some limitations. I will keep you in my prayers.

Peace,

Leon
              God Squad co-moderator
              Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Gary , any compromise in the hearts ability to function can result in similar symptoms. Remember it's main job is to pump blood around our bodies. The HCM heart is hyperdynamic and has a great ability to pump , but it does need to have the volume that I talked about earlier.

Someone with LVH may experience similar symptoms. You really need to make that phone call to Lisa and discuss all your concerns. Make a list. Please continue to read here and post as well . It is still early and there is a lot to digest( no pun intended).
                Pam
                Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I am curreenly on NO medication. I didnt think much of the shortness of breathe and chest pains after eating for awhile as I thought t may have been indigeston or I ate too large of a meal and didnt digest it yet.
                  I found out about HCM after a route physical exam. I am adpoting a child from China so I had the exam.

Should I be on medication? this is my only symptom so far so is this considered a minor or a major symptom?

I only had 1 appointent with cardiologist so far I am going for a holter on monday and a stress test next week
                  this board is a wonderful place and I am so grateful you are all here

Comment

It will be up to your doctors whether or not they put you on medicine. Most with HCM are on some type of med, but again, everyone is different. You will probably have more information after the holter and stress test. Remember, take it slow and easy. There is so much to learn and you're still new at this. It's a lot to take in. You're doing a great job and you're asking good questions. Just don't overwhelm yourself.

Reenie
                    Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Hi, Gary,

Off the topic, but are you coming to China to get the child? Do you have a date? I'd love to meet you, if you come to Beijing!

Rhoda

Comment

When we lived in Japan one of the 3rd grade teachers at our school (an American) adopted a beautiful Chinese baby. Her name is Julia.

Reenie
                        Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

thats great I plan to arive in either Nov or december .It depends on when i get my referral

Gary

Comment

for those that are symptomatic what are the typical symptoms and how long do they last or are they persistant during the day? I am trying to gauge my symptoms

Comment

Symptoms vary a lot per person. Some are feeling faint, actually fainting, having problems with your heart rate, being short of breath, having no energy, and the list goes on. Some people have a lot of symptoms and some have almost none.

Reenie
                              Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Working...
                              X