If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-existing Condition Clause

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Toogoofy317 non-obstructed hcm, AICD 11-01-02 and 10-6-05 Find out more about Toogoofy317
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarah
    replied
    Pulling through

I know....physically and emotionally exhausting. Please don't try and do everything all on your own. If someone can help you make calls or track people down or whatever needs to be done, please let them.

I don't have half the health issues you do and I can't imagine coming home from 8 hours at work and having to feed myself. My godsend of a boyfriend makes me dinner almost every night. I don't carry my laundry up and down stairs and I don't lift anything at work (even though I'm tech support and being able to move a computer is considered my job--they are nice about it).

Hopefully you can find some creative ways to make life a little easier.

Big hugs,

S

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    replied
    Thanks Sarah,

It just takes so much energy to do all of this! I tried to go to work today but it didn't work. By the time I went to my docs office my chest was killing me. So she sent me to the ER. Turns out I have the stomach flu, a severe urinary tract infection, and the dehydration exacerbated my HCM!

And I was so close to feeling well.

Mary S.

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied
    insurance commission

M

I hope you feel better and you (nicely and calmly) threaten them with reporting to the insurance commission.

You are clearly being wronged and they need a spanking!

Good luck,

S

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    replied
    Thanks, I plan on doing just that. I've just felt so rotten that past few days. I hope I didn't come off rash yesterday. I've not been able to keep food down for a few days, I've got a kidney infection, blisters on the roof of my mouth, severe stomach pain, chest pain. So, I'm a wreck right now thank goodness I see my new GI doc tomorrow.

Mary S.

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    A cheaper step would be to contact your states Insurance commisioner and ask for an advocate to assist you. You may also want to talk to the billing office at the hospital and they may be able to offer some help (they are the ones getting the $$ - they will want to help).

Good Luck.
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied
    Listen my hot one,
    If they have confirmed (in writing) that they are in receipt of the portability certificate – or you have other proof that it was supplied to them - - and they still deny your claim on the pre-existing condition clause – they are in demonstratable breach of contract. (If any part of this is missing, you can send them another copy certified return receipt (for proof), and include a letter asking for a review of the claim in the certified transmittal. (Keep dated copies for your own records.)

The next step I suggest is to go after them with an attorney (Legal aide – etc) and also contact the state board of insurance. If your legal help doesn’t know (care) what to do about it, and the state authority does not respond, please contact me and I will suggest a possible course you might want to follow.

Get well, and stay that way. (Do you think the fever is a result of your non-HCM problems?)
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    replied
    Yes! Of course I sent the insurance certificate of portability Three to four times in fact! I think I stated that in my initial post? (sorry got a 100.2 fever and fighting to not have another visit),

They cofirmed that I sent it to them.

Mary S.

Leave a comment:

• Laoshur
    replied
    Mary,

I don't know anything about the Florida laws, but your experience sounds very familiar. When my daughter was in college, every single time she made a claim, the insurance company rejected it. Each time, when we called, they said that they had to have proof that she was enrolled. On one case this was literally one day after we had submitted proof.

In her last semester of college I took a one semester leave of absence and used my husband's insurance as my sole carrier. Once again they denied every claim on the basis that either this was preexisting (I had been on their insurance as a secondary for many years so preexisting did not count) or they claimed that they thought I had a primary carrier, even though I had repeatedly submitted proof that they were my sole carrier. Finally, at the advice of a friend who worked in insurance claims for a doctor's office, I called them and said that if any more claims were rejected, I would call the state insurance commission and give them documented evidence that they were rejecting claims illegally. Of course they argued that they would never illegally reject claims, so I just calmly said that I had been keeping track of each rejection and the fact that each time I called, they retracted the rejection and that I would gladly submit the data to the state insurance commission. Well, all I can say is that to this day I have never had another claim rejected!

Try it, you may like it!

Rhoda

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    Mary,
    Have you sent your new insurance company your "portability certificate" if not - do so ASAP - if you have send a 2nd copy as the original may have been lost.

Once you are sure they have the portability certificate in hand and they review the claims - then we will know if they are following the law or not.

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied
    Hi Mary,
    If I may suggest – go ahead with everything you have been advised to do – but also contact your previous insurance company and request an expedited copy of a Certificate of Creditable Coverage, which should include the total period of time you carried the policy - including the period under the Cobra Act. (Pick it up yourself if you have the time.)

“you should contact your previous health plan provider to obtain a certificate of creditable coverage and submit it to the benefits office."

Make a copy of the certificate for your own records and send or carry the original to the new insurance company’s benefits office – mailed Certified – Return Receipt, or signed for – If you hand deliver it.

By the wording in their own policy, they will then have to provide the insurance coverage to you – or be in breach of contract. In my opinion they are trying to avoid making the payments because they have not received the certificate yet, but once it is supplied to them they will pay.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    replied
    This is what my policy says:

" Unless you can provide proof of continuous coverage for the 12 month period immediatly preceeding your effective date of ceoverage, without a break in coverage of 63 days of more, the plan will not cover pre-existing conditions. This will include expenses incurred as the result of any injury, illness or related conditions for which you or your covered dependent have consulted with a physicican or received any medication, medical care or treatment within the three-month period immediatly prior to the effective date of coverage ( or six-month period for the select plan). Benefits wil not be paid on that particular condition until the individual has been covered under the plan for one year. In order to have any portion of the pre-ex period waived, you sould contact you previous health plan provider to obtain a certificate of creditable coverage and submit it to the benefits office."

I went to the HR person at work. And they said that what the company was doing was wrong. They gave me the number for a supervisor's number. They also gave me a number for a financial specialst too see if I can get some charity help.

mary S.

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    There are many questions that need to be answered prior to passing judgement on what is going on with this matter.

I am not currently aware of any specific problems with Florida law on insurance, nor do I think we will find one as many others in FL have moved policies with no problems at all.

It is important to check the POLICIES that were purchased and read the details.

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Linda
    replied
    Thanks Burt, we are using the same company. I guess I misunderstood Mary's post and thought she used the same company and had the problem. I'm still going to read fine print, but we should be good. Linda

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied
    worst case scenario

Dear Mary,

I'm so sorry. I hope you have some leverage and can get them to turn around on this. It sounds like you need to find a friendly lawyer who can write the company a letter. Insurance companies respond better to lawyers.

I, too, was under the impression that if you have had continuous coverage for the prior 12 months, you can't be denied under a pre-existing condition clause.

Here are some links I found: http://www.cmcinsurance.com/hipaa.htm

http://www.hipaanet.com/cbrr.htm

most importantly:
    http://www.lnjins.com/portability.htm

read the LAST post on this page:
    http://forum.freeadvice.com/archive/.../t-173302.html

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied
    Hey Linda,
    If it turns out that your policy has such a clause, sometimes your son can avoid the problem by taking out a policy (without a break) with the same company.

If the problem exists, talk to a representative of the insurance company about it. They will often have a method of continuing your son in his own policy as an extension of his previous coverage under your family plan. That should avoid any ‘prior condition’ problems, which you might encounter if he switches to another carrier.

I am often amazed by how many people do not read their insurance policies until they get into trouble and it is then too late to do anything about it. I am convinced the insurance companies try to make the policies as difficult to understand as they can still get away with. In the old days, before the government stepped in to regulate it, many lawyers had problems understanding the policies and had to take special training to cope with them. Things are nowhere near as bad today, but you still have to read it and understand what is and is not covered – and to what extent.

Many years ago I used to write international contracts for a major company, and we won the services of more then one distributor just because they could understand our contracts much easier then our competitor’s. Companies who deal in contractual arrangements either learn to understand what they commit to, or they are not around very long. People should take care of themselves just as scrupulously.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

Working...
X