If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the thickness continue to get bigger?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

julie Find out more about julie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the thickness continue to get bigger?

Visited my cardiologist yesterday - apparently I am stable - physically probably not mentally!! However, when measuring the wall thickness, he did comment that the rate of thickening with this condition is progressive but very gradual. (He keeps using that word progressive and I rather wish he didn't). I have had this condition for 40 years and thought I had read that it stopped growing at a certain age and then the danger was in the stiffening. Does it stop growing?

I'm under the impression that it does stop growing at some point, but it's impossible to predict when that will be. If I'm wrong I hope others will correct me.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hi Julie,
      I guess a heart grows somewhat the same way as a boy child.

First it grows up – often in spurts, then it grows out – sometimes with each meal, and then sometimes the boy child will grow up again, a little bit, - right threw his hair.

OK, I got that out of the way. A heart will behave just like people do, which is understandable since they are part of us. Some grow quick and then stop, some grow for a long time, some are thin, some are fat, and some are every kind of way you can think of.

I would say you should monitor it very closely for the next hundred years or so, and then you can relax and just let things happen as they will.

By the way, if you are stable - - do you have a horse?
      Burt

Comment

Thanks, I guess that I have to wait and see - perhaps I can get hold of some of that restrictive growth hormone that you put on top of fast growing trees.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X