If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM vs. exercise induced asthma--EKG and echo results inside

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

talina Find out more about talina
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCM vs. exercise induced asthma--EKG and echo results inside

Hi. I am Talina, a Pediatric/Neonatal Registered Nurse. My 13 year old son was taken to his Pediatrician on the urging of his personal trainer when having an "episode"--the most recent of about 4 or 5 in the last year. This episode occurs during strenuous exercise (my son is a competitive football, basketball and track athlete), and he describes it as "someone sitting on my chest, like I am breathing through a straw, I get dizzy and things go black."

The Pediatrician diagnosed him with EIA or exercised induced asthma, gave him an Albuterol inhaler, and an appointment with a Pediatric Cardiologist to rule out HCM.

Our appointment with the Cardiologist was yesterday, and my heart stopped (figuratively) when his EKG showed left ventricular hypertrophy. We then had an echocardiogram. The echo showed a "normal" adult-sized heart with ventricles appropriately sized. No abnormalities were seen.

His diagnosis by the Cardiologist were
    1) ? EIA--though he is not convinced and says the following two diagnoses would be aggravated by use of an Albuterol inhaler
    2) Hyperventilation
    3) Hypotension

BUT we were scheduled for a treadmill test next Friday. He explained the EKG results as the electrical activity of an adult-sized heart traveling through a small chest wall vs. the chest wall of an adult. My son is 5'10" and 140 pounds, tall and thin/muscular.

I am looking for any advice on pursuing HCM further? Is an echo the final diagnostic tool? There is NO family history of sudden death or cardiac anomalies/disease. What is the purpose of the treadmill test?

Thanks for any advice (in advance).
    Talina
    Mother of three boys

Hello Talina,
    I welcome you to our message board and to our community. It is wonderful to see a loving mother searching for answers in her son's health. You are the strongest force to get the answers for your son's heart health - I applaud you.

I am not a doctor and most people on this message board (that post) are not physicians either. Therefore, I won't be able to interpret your son's results. I can tell you that I have a back ground in Heart Screening Events. I have organized 12 events today and provided over 1800 FREE echocardiograms to young people in Arizona and Kansas.

What I can tell you is that the American College of Cardiology has created heart measurement standards for diagnosing HCM. If the septal wall (interior divider of the heart chambers) is over 1.2 cm for women or 1.3 cm for men, then the enlargements could indicate HCM. That is where a full diagnostic array of tests are recommended to determine the actual diagnosis. It sounds like your son's doctor is performing all the necessary tests to find the answers for you.

When you get all the results from your doctor I would encourage you to call Lisa Salberg (HCMA President) at 973-983-7429 and go over the results with her. Lisa is very helpful and a great resource for interpretation of the heart tests. She is usually in the office on Tuesday's and Thursday's, but you can call Kelly and make an appointment to speak with her.

Good luck on finding the answers and solution for your son's health. We are here to help and support in your journey.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Bates

The Anthony Bates Foundation
    www.AnthonyBates.org

Comment

Thank you Sharon (and Kelly) for the response. I did not think of asking for the echo results in writing, and I will do so when we go for the treadmill test. I will be sure to look them over and give your offices a call. Thanks again!
      Talina
      Mother of three boys

Comment

As far as what they're looking for in a stress test, there are a couple of things. One is whether or not his blood pressure will rise appropriately with the exercise. Another is how long he can go and how labored it will be for him.

I'm glad that your doctors are exploring all the possibilities. I sincerely hope that your son doesn't have HCM. I have a daughter the same age, 13, and would be devastated if she's diagnosed. However, there are many here who have been misdiagnosed through the years as having asthma, anxiety disorders, mitral valve prolapse, and the list goes on. It's a wonderful sign that your doctors are willing to look beyond asthma as a possible cause for the problems. Please keep us posted.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Talina, albuterol can produce some chest pain and arrhythmias too, so please keep an eye out for aggravated symptoms.

Reenie
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Working...
          X