If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oxygen

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Labbey Heart transplant on September 15, 2008 Find out more about Labbey
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxygen

Hi everybody! Just a quick question. Does anyone know if there is truth to the "yawning" means you need more oxygen"? I know I have heard it means you are tired too. I get that.

I tried taking a little walk yesterday. I started yawning. And then I thought maybe the heart is not pumping enough oxygen. I don't know?My walk did not last long. I did yawn quite a bit. It is so weird. I was home in 15 minutes. It was definitely a stroll by anyone's measure, maybe even a slow stroll.

I think I may have been told that this heart does not pump enough oxygen thru to the brain. I see my doctor in 2 weeks. Just wanted to hear what any of you know of this. Who yawns when they are trying to exercise??? haha I also had the good ole, pressure in my chest. And just a plain old tired out feeling. Like I can't do this even though I was telling myself I can do this. I felt I needed to sit down again. And fast. I am lucky I did not go far from home, I saw my house in view and that was my goal. Just get home!!!

thanks, you all have been such a help. I love just reading the posts, I get so much information, I never knew. I am just so thankful for this.

Take care

Lisa A.
    diagnosed at 19. Open heart surgery at 23. Myectomy unsuccessful, but replaced damaged mitral valve, pacemaker, Icd at 36, evaluated for heart transplant at 39.

Yeah, I find myself yawning quite alot during exertion. and yes all of the symptoms you describe. I know most people say exercising perks them up but I gotta take a nap afterwards and if I really over do it I need extra oxygen. My PCP wrote me a script for home oxygen and it has been a tremendous help!

mary S.

Comment

Many people here report that they yawn or sigh a good bit when exerting themselves. It sounds normal (for HCM) to me. How are you feeling?

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Yes i do the same, there has to be some truth in it because i can put my oxygen on and quit yawning, doc told me when you are tired you breath more shallow so that is why you yawn to bring the bodies oxygen level back to where it needs to be

Shirley
        Diagnosed 2003
        Myectomy 2-23-2004
        Husband: Ken
        Son: John diagnosed 2004
        Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X