If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

striemstra Find out more about striemstra
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debbie
    replied
    Well,

I "passed out" 3 years ago. I have had doctors tell me since then that I died.

I knew nothing. I don't know if I nearly died, or just passed out. I was walking, got dizzy, leaned my head against the wall, and then, the next thing I knew, I was waking up.

A woman was holding my hand, and so was my dad. The woman said, "It's okay, the paramedics are coming." And all I could think was, "Why are you holding my hand, and what in the heck?" I didn't even know I had passed out. I felt like I was waking up from sleeping. Almost like I was in bed.

What I learned was that if someone passes out, you should say, "You passed out" when they wake up. I was disoriented, and didn't have a clue what had happened.

Anyway, from my experience, if I really did "die", I sure didn't know it. I always thought that if I was going to pass out, I would think beforehand, "I'm going to pass out". That did not happen.

My dad was there, and said that I had no pulse and wasn't breathing. I don't know. There was never anything decided about why I passed out. My dad did artificial respiration on me.

Anyway, my mom had a cardiac arrest in the hospital and then a medic did CPR on her and brought her back. She said, "I never even knew what happened." She always wished that they hadn't brought her back. (She was in very bad shape by then, and lived for a miserable 6 months after that until she passed away). My mom never got over the fact that the cardiac arrest was so painless and peaceful, compared to what she had to go through afterward.

Debbie

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied
    Well that was question i had when my brother passed away and his doctor said it happened really quick and he felt nothing, he said if Bob felt anything it was seconds so that made me feel better to know he went peacfully, i hope that helps

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    The posts above say it all. I have heard it refered to as a "light switch" there is no pain, no fear, just fade to black and you are 'sleeping' or so it seems.

This post may be read by someone who has lost a loved one in this manner. This is something I am often asked by parents and loved ones who have lost someone. It is normally a comfort to know that there is no pain, no fear and only peace.

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• bryan
    replied
    No pain involved here either. Just a very hard time breathing, then all the sudden, I'm waking up with a broken front tooth.

Leave a comment:

• javadanny
    replied
    There was no pain involved when I had my sudden death 'event'. In fact, it was quite peaceful from what I remember. A slow fade to black...

I didn't have an ICD then but I do now.

Leave a comment:

• sueb
    replied
    My sudden death episode was just like fading out to go to sleep. No pain, no time for stress. Nothing to fear (except, of course, the onsequences).

The kick from the ICD and finding myself on the floor somewhat battered from the fall was less pleasant but quite worthwhile as I have more of life to look forward to.

Sue

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied
    I'm not sure about pain with sudden death but maybe someone here who's had an episode, saved by a defibrillator or some other method, can answer that one for you. As far as your other question, having HCM doesn't mean you can't have other heart disease, even the kind that may cause a heart attack. So yes, it's possible for someone to have a "normal" heart attack.

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• striemstra
    started a topic Question

Question

I've been reading up on HCM and have discovered that sudden death is a symptom. I ws just wondering if and when it happens, do you think it would be painful? Or would it happen so suddenly that you wouldn't be able to tell? And also, can people with HCM suffer from 'normal' heart attacks or are they too much for the body to handle? It would great if these questions had easy answers! (Not always the case but I can dream...)
    Thanks,
    Steph

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X