If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this HCM? Needing Some Opinions

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

jenmaireee Find out more about jenmaireee
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this HCM? Needing Some Opinions

Hello people, I am a 20 year old female living in England. I am currently being reviewed by a Cardiologist on the NHS and I am looking for some opinions here, so I hope nobody minds me posting!

I have experienced severe exercise intolerance since I was around 11 years old. At least, thatís when I can remember it starting from, perhaps it was earlier. Within a minute or so of cardio (running, jogging, uphill walking, rowing etc.) I have always become very short of breath. Completely and utterly out of breath. In school I have always been at the back of the class in PE (gym class), especially in things like cross country. Miles behind other people in any class I have ever participated in, with overweight people, smokers and seniors always fine whilst Iím totally struggling. I have also experienced palpitations for a lot of my life, especially when I lie down I can feel them in my throat now and again. My resting heart rate is low in the 50ís or 60ís and I canít feel a racing heart or palpitations in a row. Iím also fatigued most of the time but Iíve recently been given iron for very low iron levels that have only developed recently.

I have had two echocardiograms done and the last one I had done I got given the results. Both were said to look fine and my results are as follows:

IVSd - 0.84cm

LVIDd - 4.60cm

LVPWd - 0.79cm

IVSs - 0.92cm

LVIDs - 2.84cm

LVPWs - 1.09cm

EDV (Teich) - 97.24ml

ESV (Teich) - 30.66ml

EF (Teich) - 68.46%

%FS - 38.18%

SV (Teich) - 66.58ml

Ao Diam - 2.38cm

LA Diam - 3.18cm

LA/Ao - 1.33

DOPPLER

LVOT Vmax - 1.20m/s

LVOT Vmean - 0.81m/s

LVOT maxPG - 5.77mmHg

LVOT meanPG - 2.98 mmHg

LVOT Env. Ti - 289.52 ms

LVOT VTI - 23.41cm

HR - 207.24 BPM

AV Vmax - 1.43m/s

AV maxPG - 8.13mmHg

RVOT Vmax - 0.95m/s

RVOT maxPG - 3.64mmHg

PV Vmax - 0.73m/s

PV maxPG - 2.11mmHg

TR Vmax - 1.89m/s

TR maxPG - 14.23mmHg

Other than this, trivial mitral valve thickening was noticed only with ďfully functionalĒ valve leaflets. Sinus tachycardia apparently caused summation of the mortal inflow pattern as well. This echocardiogram was done approximately 15 minutes after a stress ECG which was also normal with no arrhythmias present. However the amount of time I could run for was limited and I was told I was just deconditioned which I know isnít true. I have participated in dance since I was two years old and I even noticed in my classes that I was getting more short of breath than everybody else. I stopped dancing a few years back because of moving house. Anyhow, my point is that Iíve tried to be active but my stamina has never improved and never got drastically worse. It is the same as it was 10 years ago with absolutely no improvement. Another note would be that no heart murmurs were heard but I can feel a buzzing over the left side of my neck near my collarbone that feels different to all my other pulses. All of my ECGís have come back fine.

I have been scheduled for a cardiopulmonary test and a tilt table test. Hopefully something will come of those but I wanted peoples opinions on this potentially being Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. What are the chances and does this seem likely? Itís stressing me out as exercise intolerance seems to be a running theme. Iím scared and I want to enjoy my upcoming holidays. As far as Iím aware I have no obvious family history of HCM. However, my father had open heart surgery last year for aortic regurgitation and a triple bypass. He is in his late 70ís. He had a heart murmur since he was in his 40ís from the aortic valve and heís had high blood pressure most of his life; extremely high. My half brother on my fathers side of the family had a random batch of endocarditis with no obvious cause. It nearly killed him. Heís in his 50ís. He had many tests including an MRI and they donít know what caused it at all. My grandad died at 66 suddenly of a ďmassive heart attackĒ and my aunt died in her 70ís of heart related problems. My cousin died in her 30ís very suddenly and she used to get seizures as well. I have three other half siblings who are in their 40ís and 50ís and seem fine at the moment heart wise. I am also the oldest full sibling of five. The four younger ones seem fine and my younger brother competes professionally with martial arts. I seem to be the only one in my entire family that has this awful struggle with exercise, stamina and exertions shortness of breath (stairs, hills, cardio etc.).

Thank you for you input in advance everybody, Iím losing my mind a little here and I need some opinions.

Ken

Hello Jen, It sounds like you have felt in distress, breathingwise for quite a long time. The most important thing to do is to see a cardiologist that has a wide base of knowledge including HCM. The U.K. Has a Cardiomyopathy association with a phone line that is staffed by registered nurses trained in cardiomyopathies of all kind: Cardiomyopathy.org phone for the help line is 0800 018 1824.
    Also, shortness of breath can be caused by lung issues as well as heart issues. An Exercise VO2 study can help distinguish between lung, heart, and deconditioning issues and could be very helpful. It sounds like that might be what you are scheduled to have soon. Make a list of questions to ask your doctor and be sure you get the answers you need.
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
    X