If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

out grow

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Terrance Find out more about Terrance
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• out grow

Can a person out grow cardiomyopathy? I was diagnosed with it at age of 7, last year I saw a cardiologist and he took an echo and said it did not show any signs of cardiomyopathy

Hi Terrance, The term "Cardiomyopathy" by itself means a pathology of the cardiac muscle.... So there are several types of Cardiomyopathy. On this site we are specifically looking at the disease called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy.HCM Since you are 58 yrs old and your diagnosis of "Cardiomyopathy" was supposedly made 51 years ago....I would question whether it was an accurate diagnosis for HCM. Even in this day and age it is sometimes difficult to get an accurate HCM diagnosis. If you have a family history of HCM or sudden cardiac arrest....It would be important to keep up regular screening as the symptoms of HCM can arise later in life. Are you having symptoms that have sent you to the cardiologist? Sometimes an echo can look " normal" at rest but show obstructive issues during exercise.
    Because HCM is considered genetic it is not generally " outgrown" but it can progress or stop progressing at anytime during a lifespan.
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

HCM wasn't a name that any doctor in the world would have used 51 years ago. In fact, the disease itself was just barely known then, and certainly wasn't called this. So . . . I don't know what they found (or thought they found).

Why are you asking now? If you're having symptoms, then clearly you should get checked out, and we can suggest how/where to do that so you can have confidence in the results. But if you're just curious, my own inclination is to say not to worry - if they said cardiomyopathy back then, they wouldn't have meant HCM, and if you're not having any symptoms, enjoy your life!

Gordon
      Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Working...
      X