If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I mess up?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

david75248 Find out more about david75248
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I mess up?

I just had a AV node ablation, and added a Boston Scientific Pacemaker, which controls my Ventricles, but will leave me in permanent Atrial Fibrillation. Did I mess up?
    I didn't really have much choice after my third ablation for AF, I had a kind if Atrial Fibrillation that also affected my Ventricles. I thought I was out of the woods after a Myectomy and Aortic valve replacement at Mayo clinic in 2014. Another doctor had me on Amioderone at the time, so no obvious arrhythmia's. Within six months I returned to AF that would take my ventricles up to 190+ bpm. I have had numerous Cardioversions for this affliction. I was taking Tikosyn and all was great, except all of the sudden...176 bpm... They cardioverted me again and sent me on my way... then less than 30 days 197 bpm.

David in Pittsburgh

Hi David,

My immediate comment is that I'm not sure it matters: you made a decision - and one that's certainly understandable - and now the question is how to go forward. Since there aren't any do-overs, revisiting the decision can't lead anywhere useful, I don't think.

That said, I think I'd consider other alternatives first, like a MAZE procedure. But perhaps that wasn't practical. Did you have any afib ablations?

Gordon
    Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Yes, this is true. No sense crying about spilled milk. I guess my question really was, is here still a way to overcome the permanent AF? Supposedly it's not a big problem, because ones ventricles are beating at a paced rhythm I don't see how you can get the best function however with your Atrials going off like that. Does someone have a better pacemaker that can work for all chambers?

Comment

I don't know, but I'd think a MAZE procedure might be considered.
        Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

There are dual chamber pace makers that pace both the atria and ventricles ...... Whether they would be used with chronic afib or in your situation I have no idea. You said your myectomy was at Mayo.....Are you being followed there? Or where are you being followed for your afib? True, what is done is done....but it seems like you have unfinished business and unanswered questions. Maybe getting a second opinion with an EP cardiologist familiar with HCM would help you get the answers you need....Either at Mayo or another COE closer to home.
          After years of symptoms:
          Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
          Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
          Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
          At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
          X