If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cardiologist w/ HCM experience needed in Indy area

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Indy_Bob Find out more about Indy_Bob
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardiologist w/ HCM experience needed in Indy area

I've just learned that I'll need to find a new cardiologist in the Indianapolis area and am hoping to identify one who has experience with HCM. Basically, my current cardiologist knew enough to refer me to a COA for treatment out of State (myectomy @ Cleveland Clinic) but he is retiring later this summer. Meanwhile, the cardiac group he worked under is being phased out in favor of another, more 'powerful' cardiac group that is taking over most of the small hospital heart centers in the area. Unfortunately, the new group does not have a COE nor anyone who advertises that they treat patients with HCM.

So my question is whether HCMA has a current list of cardiologists in this region who may have experience treating HCM patients even though there are no COE facilities here in the Indianapolis area? Are there names you can share with me to take to my retiring cardiologist as a suggestion for someone to continue care for my heart?

Thanks!

You might try asking your cardiologist and or surgeon at Cleveland if they know anyone..... or trained anyone recently that may be in your area. If you don't find a recommendation..... Make up an interview, list of questions about your HCM and what you need and meet with several excellent cardiologists and find the best fit. The most important questions include, are you willing to consult with my HCM cardiologist at Cleveland Clinic?
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Thanks, Jill! I am planning to have a thorough chat with my outgoing cardiologist, but wanted to be a bit proactive in finding out if there is someone who would be at the top of the list according to HCMA's standards for COA's. I would definitely only choose someone who was comfortable with my CCF care!

Comment

You also might try the HCMA Facebook group.....they are a bit more active in responses than the Forum....or call HCMA.
        i tend to gravitate toward University medical centers for the most up to date care in general....
        After years of symptoms:
        Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
        Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
        Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
        At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Working...
        X