If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dilated IVC without collapse

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

halleys5 Find out more about halleys5
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilated IVC without collapse

Hi there, I've been stalking this forum and others for awhile and finally need to see if anyone can give me some insight on my ol' ticker.

I am a very healthy 46 yo guy (with no family history of bad hearts) that developed PVCs about three years ago. On January 1 this year, they became continuous, usually bigeminy when near a resting heart rate.
    My Holter showed 20% of a normal work day was irregular so 20-25,000 per day. I am on 50mg of beta blocker and going up to 75 but my resting hr is already 60-...

So my question is this, I had a second echo in Feb which showed a dilated IVC without collapse during respiration. I had an echo done in 2014 which did not comment on my IVC size (different Dr). The echo I had done in 2014 had an estimated RA pressure of <5mmHg (normal), this echo from Feb says RAP of 10mmHg, I don't think that is crazy high (?), I'm not a trained athlete but I am semi-athletic and do exercise regularly.

My current Dr is not concerned, but I only got these results after I saw him last so I have not gone over them with him. We have primarily been focused on my PVC and trying to get them under control.

Other echo tid-bits: right to left atrium shunt (PFO), mitral valve thickening with trace-mild regurg (also curious if anyone has insight on the thickening), tricuspid pulmonic also have trace regurg. Other than that I think everything is pretty normal.

If you have any insights or questions I can take back to my Dr, I'd appreciate it.
    -C

Hello Halley,... you don't mention if you have been diagnosed with HCM....Which is the heart condition we offer support for and are most familiar with here on the HCMA forum. I also noticed In your profile you checked that yes, you have an ICD, is that correct?
    I think it would be best for you to sit down with your cardiologist and review your entire echo cardiogram. You have just given tidbits of the echo and they generally go together to paint a picture of what is going on. A dilated IVC generally indicates an increased right atrial pressure.....which could be caused by a number of things. If it were me, my biggest question would be the atrial shunting; "PFO" I believe stands for Patent Foramem Ovale....which is a congenital heart defect where a small hole exists between the two atriums.....In HCM we are looking at very different parameters such as thickened heart walls and out flow tract obstruction.
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

I see many posts on the forum of people without a diagnosis yet. I have no idea if I have an underlying condition or a collection of oddities. I was just trying to ask if anyone had any experience that might give me a lead or direction.
      I know all the basics of what is going on, trying to put a handle on it all.

Comment

I didn't mean to discourage you from asking .... just letting you know the limitations of our heart knowledge here. As a nurse I encourage self advocacy for everyone. The best understanding of our diseases, no matter what their names, is a well informed patient and a well informed doctor working together as a team. So I encourage you to gather info and then return to your Cardiologist to get an explanation about what's going on and a plan of observation and treatment.
        Not knowing is stressful and increases anxiety and even PVCs!
        I hope you have a Cardiologist you feel comfortable doing this with....if not, you may want to select a different one
        I hope you get all the answers you need.
        After years of symptoms:
        Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
        Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
        Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
        At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X