If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Afib

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

meggy8868 retired teacher; had my first echo which indicated HCM in 1999 but was not told I had the condition. Find out more about meggy8868
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afib

Hi:
    My brother and I have been dealing with Afib and learning about cardio conversion. I suspect we have both had it before as the symptoms were familiar. I ended up in intensive care with crazy palpitations but converted 5 days later. My brother now is in his sixth week.

Question: Is it necessary to always precede the electo-conversion with medical trial? His has been going on a long time. 80 mg of atenolol, 120 mg of Cardizem and now 800 mg of amidiodarone? As well as 5mg of warfarin.

Are these drugs necessary before electro conversion?
    I would think that six weeks without conversion on these drugs is a long time. He has a lot of side effects.

Thanks
    HOCM diagnosed Mayo Clinic Aug. 2010

25 mg of atenolol.

Re: Afib

I have lost count of the number of times I have been cardioverted and can tell you that I have never had to wait five days -- let alone six weeks -- for the procedure. If my rhythm was bad enough to send me to the Emergency Department and they were unable to convert with meds, then they always scheduled the cardioversion for the following day. Many times they performed a TEE (Transesophageal Echocardiogram) prior to the conversion to ensure I had no blood clots hanging around in my heart. I am wondering if they are waiting for his INR to be therapeutic for a while before they convert.
    Wekiva

Female, 56
    Paroxysmal rapid afib beginning in 1989
    Non-obstructive HCM diagnosed 2011
    1st ablation 2011
    2nd ablation 2012
    Loop recorder implanted 2012
    3rd ablation 8/2013
    Pacer/ICD implanted 10/2013
    Diagnosed with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension 10/2013
    Pacer/ICD lead revision 6/2013
    AtriClip implanted 6/2013

Comment

Hi,

There are two strategies concerning A-fib: rythm control (getting it back in sinus) and rate control (keeping it generally below say 100 bpm at rest, accepting the A-fib long term). What is the general strategy?

You both need warfarin (or any other 'strong' anti coagluant) to reduce the risk of stroke. This can also occur some time after conversion to sinus rythm, so AC is generally kept several weeks after conversion. If you have paroxismal A-fib, you may want to / need to use AC all the time. If you have been in A-fib for more than 48 hours MD's generally want you on AC for several weeks before trying conversion.

Amiodarone may cause sinus conversion on its own. But be aware of the potential long term effects of amiodarone! He may be getting to much betablocker, but note that for us HCM'ers A-fib is know to be poorly tolerated (specially with obstruction, my experience).
      \"Hope is disappointment postponed\"

Dx in 2004, first symptoms 20 years ago? Obstructed, A-fib, family history!

Combined Morrow and (left atrial) Maze procedures & PVI at St. Antonius Hospital, Netherlands, March 28, 2013.

Meds (past) propranolol, metoprolol, disopyramide, sotalol, amiodaron, aspirin, dabigatran, acenocoumarol.

Meds (current) sotalol, dabigatran, furosemide.

Comment

Thanks so much for the information. Yes, he is worried about the amiodarone. We both have obstruction. He also has sleep apnea. So is electrical conversion out of the question for him?

25 mg of atenolol.

Comment

Sleep apnea in itself can cause A-fib too. That is no reason not to try conversion, A-fib with obstruction is NOT a nice combination! The doctors may want to 'flood' him with amiodarone to keep him in sinus after cardioversion.
          \"Hope is disappointment postponed\"

Dx in 2004, first symptoms 20 years ago? Obstructed, A-fib, family history!

Combined Morrow and (left atrial) Maze procedures & PVI at St. Antonius Hospital, Netherlands, March 28, 2013.

Meds (past) propranolol, metoprolol, disopyramide, sotalol, amiodaron, aspirin, dabigatran, acenocoumarol.

Meds (current) sotalol, dabigatran, furosemide.

Comment

Meggy, are you two seeing a good Electrophysiologist? I'd seek out an HCMCOE and get evaluated. The HCM and Afib are probably related and the team at a COE can give you a good evaluation and therapy to alleviate the problem.
            Joel

Born 1955 in USA, DX'd w/HCM 1996, in United Kingdom
            2011, 2013, 2014 ablations for Afib and flutter in UK, INOVA Fairfax, VA, and Johns Hopkins
            June 2014 DX HOCM at Johns Hopkins
            October 2014 Myectomy and Cryomaze at Mayo Clinic

Comment

I have converted back to sinus rhythm but my brother has not. He is too weak to go to Mayo which is 306 miles away. His cardiologist gives him medication and then sees him 5 weeks later. So much times has gone by. He has been in atrial fib for over a year because whoever was reading the pacemaker print-outs didn't submit them to a doctor or else didn't see it. I am worried. I know now that some of the weird symptoms I had was probably Afib, but I would come out of it in 4-5 hours and no doctor caught me at it.
              I am trying to talk him into going back to Mayo.

25 mg of atenolol.

Comment

yes, I have a local cardiologist as of this incident and he has a sub-specialty in electrophysiology.

25 mg of atenolol.

Comment

I will keep you both in prayer. I hope he can get some quality care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  Joel

Born 1955 in USA, DX'd w/HCM 1996, in United Kingdom
                  2011, 2013, 2014 ablations for Afib and flutter in UK, INOVA Fairfax, VA, and Johns Hopkins
                  June 2014 DX HOCM at Johns Hopkins
                  October 2014 Myectomy and Cryomaze at Mayo Clinic

Comment

Thank you Redteamer. I am a believer in prayer and have experienced the healing effects of prayer.

25 mg of atenolol.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X