If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pain after eating.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

ggervais Born 1970 with heart murmur. Completed rigorous military training at age 20 and asked to remain classified fit and normal after military doctors wanted to classify me as light duty due to heart murmur. Experienced alot of pain after eating and walking prior 2012. Told by MD to attend emergency room at hospital with these "chest pains" Diagnosed with obstructed HCM November 2012 after which the world ended. AICD implanted 11/12/2014 after V-FIB and cardiac arrest episode 5/12/2014. Find out more about ggervais
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pain after eating.

If I made it to 72 with HCM and a few other health problems I have total faith in your longevity. Not only are you going to see your children grow up but will be dancing at their weddings.

I hear you loud and clear with the patient having to educate the medical professional -- I get very tired of explaining HCM and ASA to doctors and nurses as well as the RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy) in my leg and MGUS (monoclonal gammopathy of unspecified significance).

Hang in there, things can only get better from here on.

Comment

Returning again to the differentiation of GI issues as a cause of chest pain. This could be done by seeing a gastroenterologist in addition to your regular HCM doctor. If GERD and ulcers etc are ruled out, then you know it is most likely an HCM related pain.assuming you have been cleared for Coronary Artery Disease....... A quick test was suggested earlier .... Have you tried taking tums or another antacid when the pAin occurs? This is standard practice in emergency rooms when there is chest pain and no EKG changes or blood work indicate a heart attack because GI distress can be a great mimicked of chest pain
      Why don't you get GI problems officially ruled out so you know exactly what you are dealing with....this could decrease your anxiety and maybe even some of the chest pain.
      Once this is ruled out, you may need to return to your cardiologist and emphasize how severe, distressing and disabling your after meal chest pain is. Keep a diary of dates times severity on a scale of 1-10 and how long you must remain immobile because of it. Maybe this will get his attention.
      Others should chime in, but I don't think that after meal chest pain is a predictor of worse things to come. It is a common symptom, but when it is that severe and disabling it may require a juggling of meds. Verapamil works very well for me for my chest pain.... But it might not be right for you.
      Good Luck... Keep talking with your doc about this.
      Last edited by JillC; 06-16-2014, 02:02 AM.
      After years of symptoms:
      Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
      Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
      Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
      At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Thank you all, I will do as you suggest.
        Born with heart murmur 1970.
        Completed rigorous military training at age 20 after telling the military doctors who wanted to declare me light duty, that I wanted to be treated like everyone else.
        Told by MD to attend emergency room at hospital after seeing him with "chest pains" 2012.
        Dx'd with obstructed HCM November 2012 after which the world ended.
        Father of boy and girl (6 & 12.)
        South African happily residing in beautiful Australia.

Comment

I get the same thing. much worse after eating.

Comment

Hi Lovebird,
            I don't know your background very well except that you have an ICD and are a in your 30's. But just a note on my experience.
            My chest pain and palpitations after meals started in my late 20s but I was misdiagnosed at that time as having mitral regurg.So, I just ignored it for decades, lived an active life and then in middle age it started getting worse, and I developed other symptoms of short breath with exertion and longer lasting chest pain.....long story short, I finally got properly diagnosed at 55 years old with Obstructive HCM.
            When I went to Mayo clinic COE this summer the head of the HCM clinic mentioned that chest pain and palpitations after meals are very much connected with obstruction in HCM.....and though my symptoms were somewhat better on my current meds they would be much better after my proper myectomy surgery....and they are! Almost 100% better.
            I am NOT saying you might need a myectomy.....I'm just saying to explore with your doctor if or how much obstruction you have and if a change in meds might reduce your after meal pain.
            It's also recommended to eat smaller meals and others have said high carbohydrate meals bother them even more.
            Good luck, keep us posted.
            After years of symptoms:

Comment

hi Jill. thank you. I am very well monitored. myectomy is not an option for me. sadly the next step for me is transplant. my ventricular septum is 3 cm. I am very limited with exercise. lower carb meals are way better and I live a very sedentary life. boo hoo cause I would love to run about.

Comment

I am.delighted for you that you have had such great success with myectomy. I got very excited at one point thinking it might be an option for me and very disappointed when I was told it was not an option for me.

Comment

Hi Lovebird....
                  3 cm is a pretty thick septum ... I'm sure you must be on meds to help reduce the obstruction ... Can you tell us why myectomy is not an option, only transplant? Certainly there are a lot if factors involved.
                  If you don't mind sharing it might be very educational for us.
                  After years of symptoms:

Comment

just Metoprolol. 95 mg. to be honest I'm not totally sure of the finer points. it is such an emotional topic so this is just on memory. it was explained to me that much of the thickening in my case was centralized and around important conduction pathways (nodes). taking away the thickening wouldn't leave any muscle suitable for conduction and could leave me in a worse position. does this sound right? it's hard being from littke old new Zealand thinking that the mighty USA might have centres of excellence that offer options like myectomy. however our cardiologists have often worked abroad and we are not 'behind' the times. it's just not an option for me. but I do feel I am in limbo land. not well enough to live a normal life and not sick enough to be waiting for a new heart.

Comment

people do have myectomy in nz. and septal ablation. so these are offered here. it's just not suitable in my case

Comment

I'm not a doctor...just been a nurse for 40 years and read up on HCM for my own information.So much information and testing would need to be available to give that type of a dreary prognosis to a patient I would HOPE they dotted all their "I"s and crossed all their "T"s before they told you that. Major conduction paths are in the septum that is true.....My cardiologist even said, the sign of a tightly done myectomy is a left bundle branch block...which I have and is easily lived with.
                        I'm wondering if you have not only a thick septum but an equally thick heart all over....In that case, just a myectomy might not help to the degree you would hope for. Here in the states at Mayo Clinic Rochester they pioneered (I think) what is called an apical myectomy which can be done along with a septal myectomy and remove bulky muscle from another large portion of the heart.....This is a procedure that may not be done in New Zealand.
                        Your health care system is different than ours....but here in the US, getting a second opinion from another expert is a well accepted practice.....It is not insulting to your current physician , it is just getting a fresh set of eyes on a situation.....You may want to talk to Lisa Salberg at the HCMA office and give her some of your test results, your current story etc. She has an extremely wide experience with the disease, including an international perspective. There is also the ability to get a second opinion from the HCM experts at Mayo Rochester by mail for around $500.00 US dollars. There is information on their website or you can call them. I believe you can specify Dr. Steve Ommen head of the HCM clinic....
                        95 mg of metoprolol is not a huge dose....do they use Norpace/ Disopyramide in your country? It has gotten great results in a good number of people in reducing obstruction.
                        I'm not trying to make you distrust your physicians....But you do not seem happy and you are still in pain after eating, limited exercise capacity etc..Possibly a change in meds or other management would be helpful. Just throwing out some educated ideas......Transplant may indeed be your only option...., if it were me, I would be willing to accept that if I had exhausted all other options.....and maybe you have already done that.
                        Keep us posted!
                        After years of symptoms:

Comment

Hi Lovebird,
                          I don't know if you're not a myectomy candidate, but I do think Jill's suggestion - that you get another opinion - is a good one.

So far as I understand, there's outstanding medical care available in NZ. That doesn't mean that the docs you saw earlier had all the answers.

Gordon
                          Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

you guys are awesome. this is why I signed up to this forum. for the wisdom of others who have walked a similar path. I have been under the care of several different cardiologists and i continually push for review. I will do some thinking and some looking in to the options you suggested. time to relax with my beautiful family. xx

Comment

Comment

It has been a long time since I have read or posted on these threads, just stopped in to confirm symptoms and carbs connection, and read your post. I agree with all the options that others have stated, but there is one other possibility that could be a contributing factor. Have you been checked for a hiatal hernia? the pain after a larger meal can be quite significant. Just my 2 cents worth....

JudyA
                                Dx Dec 2005 - HOCM with gradient of 80at rest, provokable to 150. Alcohol Ablation on Dec 22, 2005.
                                Echos in April 2007 shows 0 gradient at rest, but gradient of 100 on provocation

Comment

Working...
                                X