If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Congestive Heart Failure.. I lived...

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

jdrose951 Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Patient since 19, Now 31... Find out more about jdrose951
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congestive Heart Failure.. I lived...

Two nights ago, i was alone at night. I have a 3cm HCM Obstruction in the middle of my left ventricle.
    I was watching TV at midnight and began to have chest pain...
    I started to loose sense of control. My legs began to shake, I was sweating like a pig, nothing could cool me down..
    I began to cough up blood and fluid from my lungs. Everytime I breathed out, it sounded like i was gargling water...
    It hurt bad. I sat with my hands on my head, wiping the sweat away as my body began to heat up more. I lost all realm of reality...

This was a 3 hour ordeal that scared me greatly. I didn't know if I was goin to die or not.. I took a xanex, which after that time, chilled me out.
    I remember vaguely trying to check my pulse, but I couldn't find one in my arm or chest.
    Last time this happened was 1997!
    What in the world was that. Im guessing Congestive Heart Failure, but has anyone else felt that sense of helplessness?

Re: Congestive Heart Failure.. I lived...

Where in this story did you call 911? Chest pain? Legs Shaking? Sweating like a pig? 3 hours? Coughing up blood? Come on now.
    Diagnosed HCM October 2011(obstructed)
    ICD Implanted 10/14/2011
    First trip to Cleveland Clinic 11/16/2011
    Septal Myectomey 12/14/2011
    A better life started 12/15/2011

Comment

I don't want to try to diagnose -- I'm certainly not a doctor. But I think Tom has a point. Call your doctor!

Gordon
      Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Yes, I agree with the others. Next time, don't wait 3 hours, please make an emergency 911 call and let the medics determine that you are OK to be home alone like that. I expect that you would have been taken to the ER for treatment. Call your MD this morning please.
        Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
        Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
        ICD 10/08

Comment

jdrose - I'm so glad you are feeling better now - please do let your doc know about this event - Linda

Comment

I agree with everyone else-your doctor needs to know about this. Please call 911 if it ever happens again.
            Sister diagnosed with HCM 1987, died April 2012 of "unknown causes" as her family did not want autopsy
            My testing: 1987 and 1988 misdiagnosed with mitral valve prolapse
            Asthma diagnosis 1991
            Nephew diagnosed with HCM 1999
            Previous misdiagnosis "confirmed" 1999
            Cardiac arrest: 10/4/2010
            Induced hypothermic coma 10/4/2010
            ICD implanted 10/13/2010

Comment

Thank you for your posts.. I feel better now, but that was scary and I should have called 911. Will def next time. There going to do a procedure that goes down my throat with a sonagram to find where the thickening is at. they say with the AG it was in the middle of the ventricle and they dont feel good going in blind. More waiting for the myectomy, but what can you do. Thanks guys.

Comment

We guys tend to tough it out. We see it all the time on the board. Some faint and drive, other have these attacks at work & drive home! All so far have survived without hurting themselves or others. We (that's the collective We) really do need to comes to grips with our abilities to handle these situations better (no disrespect, I've done it too).
                This could anything from Low BP to AFib, but its best dealt with in an ER. Glad you learned & by sharing, others will too.
                Marc
                Diagnosed @ 48
                Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Working...
                X