If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update ---Surgery Scheduled

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Cherie Collins Find out more about Cherie Collins
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update ---Surgery Scheduled

Hi, everyone.
    Well, I returned from Cleveland Clinic after consulting with Dr. Lever and I am scheduled for surgery on June 13th with Dr. Smedira. My septum will be reduced via myectomy as well as some "nip/tuck" work on the mitral valve which is also causing the 80 - 90% blood regurgitation (during activity) in the left chamber. Dr. Lever informed me he is taking my pictures to New Jersey to the conference with him... I guess that is my 15 minutes of fame AS far as the surgery... Needless to say I'm ... SCARED out of my mind!!! I am grateful that there is a plan in place and I will finally be better, but at the same time, I don't look forward to what is ahead. I have read so many of your posts... and so many of you have recovered remarkably.. I only hope my experience is the same. Please feel free to send any suggestions or comments my way.

Gratefully,
    Cherie
    Diagnosed with HOCM - Fall 2010 @ 48 yrs old
    Also Asthmatic (Allergic Asthma)
    Current treatment: Meds: Verapamil 240mg x 2 day

Re: Update ---Surgery Scheduled

Cherie - Your in good hands. As you said, there is plenty of stories and info regarding your upcoming surgery. Feel free to post anything not answered and I'm sure a cyber-buddy will answer. Looking
    forward to seeing you (your pix) in Jersey!
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Hi Cherie,
      Great to hear you're on the schedule! And I'll be looking forward to your pix too!

I've probably said this to you already, but: of course you're scared. Who wouldn't be? Even the folks who fly through myectomies, get out of the hospital in 4 days, and have completely uneventful recoveries don't go back and say "can we do that again? Can we?" But . . . the actual danger is very low, and the great likelihood is that this will help you a lot. I know it did for me.

Holler if you need anything.

Gordon
      Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Cherie, Thank you for posting your thoughts on your upcoming surgery. I just came back from a visit to Boston Hospital talking about my options. I am scared and not ready to make a decision, I would love to hear how you do and your thoughts.

Comment

Hi ! Well, honestly I have to say my biggest obstacle at this point (2 weeks pre surgery) is keeping myself calm. I am working very, very hard to calm by relaxation methods provided to me online by the Cleveland Clinic. If surgery is an option for you and your hospital doesn't provide this program, let me know and I will be happy to email you the pre and post surgery relaxation programs. They are guided imagery with background music to help you through the weeks before and after surgery. Again, I will keep everyone posted on my progress. I guess my biggest obstacle is the unknown. Hopefully, with help, I will be able to control my emotions and mind through this process.

Cherie
          Diagnosed with HOCM - Fall 2010 @ 48 yrs old
          Also Asthmatic (Allergic Asthma)
          Current treatment: Meds: Verapamil 240mg x 2 day

Comment

I know what helped me was knowing all "the little things" that would happens - Forced walks 3-4 times a day, drains, temporary ICD leads, Pic lines, etc. Once I read everyone's stories I became much less anxious and wasn't worried. Of course, this isn't for the squeamish, but then again open heart surgery is not for the weak!
            Marc
            Diagnosed @ 48
            Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
            Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
            AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
            After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
            Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Working...
            X