If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Follow your heart

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lisa, I think you are a very brave person. It can be hard to cut that string and give up the safety of a 9 to 5.

Just think of all the things you will beable to do with your family. And the stuff that you can get done at the HCMA. You are my insperation and I hope
    you have a great time with your new life.
    Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Comment

OK folks,
      Lisa has made a Giant step toward helping us even more then she has in the past. How about those of us who are able, please pay your annual dues to the HCMA, and if you can - kick in a few extra bucks besides. I’d be willing to bet the man upstairs will be cognoscente of everything you can do. Wouldn’t that be a great way to show Lisa just how much she means to us all?

By the way, I didn’t see any comments on this, but I think Mary’s act should be appreciated by all of us. If you have read this board you know how hard pressed she has been, and what she has been through, and now that she at long last has an income again she uses a portion of that to help another in distress. That trait runs deep in Mary – as it does in Lisa, and it is people like them and acts like that that give me so much hope for the future.

There are those among us who make the whole world a worth while place.
      Burt

Comment

Mary,

That was a very kind gesture and it was the right thing to do - your good deed will come back to you 10 fold - they always do!

To the rest,

Thank you for your words of support. It may not be easy -- but it will be rewarding.

Peace,
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Mary

That was a great thing to do i have done that a time or two in my own life, well lets just say as a young Navy wife with your husband at sea somrtimes you need help when your child is sick, so i always said if i could repay that i would and i have gotten that chance

Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Lisa,
            It is incredible the difference one person can make in your life. We are so lucky to have you to guide us. How great for your family to be able to have more of you too. Best wishes to you.

Mary, what a kind thing you have done, you probably made a huge impact on that couples' lives. They obviously appreciated it. Good work. The world needs more people like you.

Take care and have a great day all.

Pam
            It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Lisa:
              It's great that you'll have more time to concentrate on your family (immediate and HCMers). You must have been on the verge of burn out.
              For at least one day, put your feet up and take it easy. That's all we'll give you.....lol

Mary:
              I was very young and didn't have a penny to spare when I gave birth to my daughter. One day my husband and I went to the store for milk for our little girl. We asked if we could get it on credit until Friday, payday. The owner of the store refused. I can imagine how grateful the people you helped were...I was in their situation and know of the feeling of needing and not having. Yes, there should be more people like you on earth. May God bless you for your good deed.
              Esther

Comment

you all are making me . It has always been a part of me to help people. THese past couple of years a lot of people have helped me when I really needed it and the least I can do is help someone else. I've been known to give someone my last dollar if they've needed it more than I did.

But, I think we should all take Lisa's advice to heart and follow it.

mary S.

Comment

Lisa,

I am shocked! Shocked that you've been managing to hold down a full-time job plus doing all you do for us!

I trust that the wonderful company will continue to be just as wonderful and cooperate with you on a consulting basis!

See you in June!

Caroline Paulson

Comment

I too am amazed that Lisa has been able to do a full time job and keep the HCMA not only up and running, but such an amazing support group. Well done Lisa! And well done to everyone else out there who contributes to this great group. I don't know what I would do without it, especially now that I'm going through such a rough recovery from my myectomy. I am deeply grateful to Lisa and to many other HCMers who have given me support and advice.

Paul
                    ---------------
                    Myectomy two weeks ago
                    Age 38, dad of two young children, dx 1996, myectomy March 2005, a-fib issues, due for ICD soon.

Comment

Paul,
                      Thank you - your kind words do mean a great deal. I wish you well in your recovery.

Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                      Currently not obstructed

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa Salberg
                        Today - I took the first step in changing my life. After 17 years as an HR manager for a wonderful company - I spoke to the owners about only being a consultant thereby allowing me more time to work on the HCMA and more time to take care of my family and myself.

I have followed my heart and it leads me to all of you. I look forward to building the HCMA, getting you all involved in the process and helping more families with HCM.
                        Lisa,

I guess it's okay if you spend more time around here. I don't personally have a problem with it anyway. Does this mean that you'll be paying closer attention to MY needs now?? Huh??

Enjoy your weekend.

Jim
                        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Jim,
                          You are such a brat :P

(but I still love ya!)
                          Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                          X