If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caution on community screenings

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caution on community screenings

I would like to issue a bit of caution to you all. Today I was informed of a company that is going around preforming "HCM screenings" for a fee (under $100.00) First of all this "Company" is a nurse and a technician. They have no cardiologist involved in the screening process. I have seen their "family history / patient information sheet" it is poor at best. The letters they send out explaining HCM are outright wrong and misleading. I also found out that they are using the name of the HCMA in their sales pitch to school nurses.

There are GOOD screening programs in the USA - this is not one of them. I have been in touch with officials in the state where this is happening and hope they get involved to stop these misleading and dangerous 'screenings'. I am withholding the name of this company at this time at the request of state officials.

Getting accurate information out on HCM is what is important to the HCMA - when someone places false information into the public that sets back our work and causes confusion. As an example some of the liturature they have states "HCM is a congential disease and is sometimes caused by a virus"..."Unlike other screenings your child only needs to be screened once while in high school".... there are other statements that are similar. To those of us that understand HCM we know how harmful statements like this can be.

Good night,
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Re: Caution on community screenings

Yes sir-ee bob,
    You can avoid getting HCM with a few simple rules
    1. – Don’t walk under a ladder (especially a low one.)
    2. – Don’t break a mirror (especially a glass one.)
    3. – Don’t let a black cat cross your path (especially a four legged one.)
    4. – Don’t step on a crack (or you’ll break your mother’s back.)

If you have it already, you can get rid of it by going to your local witch and have her cook up a potent with this formula –

Witches, witches, woo, woo, woo
    Cook me up a potent brew
    With eye of newt, knee of frog,
    Whip me up a special grog.

A dash of bat,
    A screech of cat,
    A twist of lime,
    So all will rhyme.

In a vat that boils and bubbles.
    Cast a spell to end my troubles.
    Round and round go stir the pot
    And rearrange my troubled lot.

I understand this lovely mix will also cure warts, re-grow hair, and enrich your love life.

Just be sure you have a genuine witch by having her fly around a bit on her broom. (There are so many charlatans trying to cash in on the witch business - you don’t know who you can trust anymore.)
    Burt

Comment

Burton,

Are you sure your taking all your medicine....
      " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Tigger, maybe Burton is taking too much medication
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

That is what i was going to say Pam you beat me to it :P :P :P

Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Lisa:
            Is there anyway you can send letters telling school nurses, etc. of the incorrect information this company has been sending?

I know you will not let a stone unturned until you get some action. I respect you for this
            Esther

Comment

Esther,
              I think the term you are looking for is that Lisa leaves no Tern un-stoned. (I still remember the last time I was stoned. I think it will be good for the nurses.)

Pam and Shirley and Tigger1 – - - Take all my medication – take all my medication? How can I do that when they have me in this jacket whose sleeves are so long they have to cross them in front and tie them in back? I guess I’ll just have to get by with what they shoot into my arms,
              Burt

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X