If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to our new Moderator!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to our new Moderator!

Hello everyone!

I am happy to announce we have a new moderator here at the HCMA. Just as a reminder our moderators are individuals who assist in guiding conversations, replying to questions, assure that the rules of the board are followed and providing careful monitoring of the content here on the board. Our new moderator is someone you all know - it is Pam Alexson. Months ago Pam asked me if she could help out the HCMA in anyway - she was still recovering from her myectomy and I said that I would be happy to have her help - when she was really ready. Well she is well healed and we could sure use the help with all the new people here on the board!

I have asked Pam to tell us a little about herself and this is what she said:

I am a 51 one year old, divorced since 1994, single mother to three, great young individuals;Laura age 24 a college graduate with a degree in psychology who works with young troubled adolescents and their families. She is soon to be a Mrs. in Febuary. Sarah is 23 and finishing her last year in college. She attends Salem State College, my alma mata, in the witch city of Salem Mass.. She will have her BSN in nursing. Tim ,my baby, is 18 and heading off to Bridgewater State College. He will study computer science and minor in accounting. I heard a rumor he wants to look into Echcocardiography. Purely he has been greatly inspired by Jessica at NEMC and by Dr. Marty Maron who have both made such an impact on all of our family's lives in so many ways.

As I stated I went to Salem State College in 1971 and graduated in 1975. I have my BSN and worked as an RN for 25 years.
    I wanted always to be a visiting nurse because I really enjoy people and like to meet them in their natural habitat. Don't laugh I wanted to be a veternarian first and work with animals in their natural habitat. I think hospitals are wonderfull places for really sick people but I think our own environments , when possible are much more condusive to healing and wellness.As a new RN I applied to the local VNA and was told I was a nice young women with great potential, just no experience.She said go to a hospital for a couple years and come re-apply. I wanted to be well qualified, so after 20 years of doing many different types of nursing and preparing , I went back and re-applied. They all laughed when I told them the story and after they certified me as sane they gave me the job. I worked there as the Psych nursing manager/ Alzheimers program co-coordinater/Medical surgical team supervisor and Director of the adult assessment center at the local hospital. Maybe that is why I became ill, I had so many desks,hats and phones I had to stop and think which one I was answering.
    I worked until the diagnosis of HCM on November 7, 2000 . At that time I was told that due to the severity of symptoms and a very high risk for sudden death, I should not be out working and stressing my heart. I was given some emergency numbers to call and told to come back in the next morning for further evaluation and testing.
    That was the beginning and the path that led me to the HCMA and Lisa Salberg the organization and person who has helped to keep me going.
    It was and still is at times a very surreal sensation remembering what it was first like to find all this information and to face and deal with the full frontage of this disease.
    I continue to be interested in research and supporting efforts to help those of us afflicted by HCM and to reaching out personnaly to fellow members who are having to start or continue on this journey with me.

Welcome to our newest Moderator and THANK YOU PAM for all your help!

Sincerely,
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Re: Welcome to our new Moderator!

Pam,

congratulations! You will be terrific in that position. I can speak from a personal perspective and say that you are a tremendous wealth of information and a very caring person...
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Pam

Congrats!!!!!!!!! I always said you would do good at this....this is soooo great

Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004
      Husband: Ken
      Son: John diagnosed 2004
      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Thank you Lisa , Shirley and Cynthia. I feel like Chunk in the movie , "Goonies." Hey You Guys !... I will try to do my best to help everyone and strive not to offend anyone.
        Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Good for you, Pam!!
          I can remember when I first posted anything here on the message board. You made me feel so comfortable. You were easy to talk to and very understanding. You are a burst of information. I know you will do a great job with new comers as you did for me.
          Thank you
          Esther

Comment

Pam, We're so pleased - I'm glad it's official - now you get all those hearts by your name. You've done such a great job. Thanks for all - Linda

Comment

Welcome Pam!

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Congrats, Pam!

"Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Yea, Pam!!

Congrats on your new "post"!

Glad to know the myectomy went well, too.

S

Comment

Congrats Pam...How fortunate we all are to have you among us...best wishes.

Pam
                    It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Good for you Pam,
                      Now that your youngest is off to college maybe this will help occupy your time and you’ll stay out of those honky-tonk bars and gin joints all over town. I know you’re the gay divorcee, but geez girl - - - -

Actually, I couldn’t be more pleased Pam. I have enjoyed knowing you – a lot – and hope the association continues for a long, long time to come – and don’t worry, we’ll get you up to snuff in those chat rooms before you know it.

1.782 piles of love to you,
                      Burt

Comment

Thanks and congrats, Pam!!

Comment

Thank you eveyone for so heartilly welcoming me , I will try to do you all proud. As I am far from perfect , you may see some trips here and there along the way. Please forgive me in advance and know that I will always try hard and always be open to learning from you all as well.
                          Now saying that, BURTON, gotta luv ya man. You are admitting you are in my mom's generation of vernacular use. I am a "HAPPY" divorcee, not what you said.
                          Best Wishes ,Pam
                          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hahahahaha,
                            Yes Pam, you caught me once again. It is amazing how the meanings of words change right before your eyes. I wonder if “merry widow” will ever be equated with ‘prostitute.’

My mom, once she retired, used to have a weekly card came with the ‘girls.’ To me that was just the same thing as me, “going out with the guys,” or ‘Boys Night Out.” You would be absolutely amazed at how many people were offended by my casual referral to women as “girls.” At first I couldn’t understand why they were so offended, until one outspoken individual said, “I am a woman! Have been for X-number of years!” That was a lot more information then I cared to know, - but I didn’t repeat the blunder after that.

Well, my ‘Happy’ one – feel good and have a great week-end.
                            Burt

PS – Knowing that you are capable of making blunders is a true indication of wisdom. Preserve me from people who are ‘perfect.’

Comment

Great for you Pam. I love the " Goonies ". I hope you only feel like like Chunk and not look like him. Congrats to you...
                              " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X