If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Age of diagnosis ...

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age of diagnosis ...

Let us take a look to see how old you/your loved one was when they were diagnosed?
    If more then one family member has HCM please pick one person to answer for.
    0-5 yrs
    0.00%
    6-15
    25.00%
    16-25
    25.00%
    26-35
    50.00%
    36-45
    0.00%
    46-55
    0.00%
    56-70
    0.00%
    71+
    0.00%
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

I was 13 and went to the pediatrician for a sore throat when he found a tiny murmur. He told my mom and she said "Welcome to the club." ha ha.

It wasn't called HCM then, it was still IHSS and then in college, it was familial HCM.

It was 1981.

S

Comment

Lynn was diagnosed at 31. She became very symptomatic two years prior when she was pregnant with our only child. She now can look back and remember being S.O.B. in her late teens.
      Thanks, Tim
      Forum Administrator

Comment

I was also diagnosed in 1981 with IHSS, I was 17 at the time. I really didn't know much about it until 5 years ago when my symptoms significantly increased. Looking back I, too, can remember having symptoms as early as 12 years of age.
        HOCM, Septal Myectomy 10/02 (Mayo Clinic), Medtronic ICD 10/07, TIA 10/07

Comment

I was diagnosed in 1998 at the ripe young age of 38 years old. My first symptoms started when I was 17 years old. The first time I was told I had a "tiny" heart murmer I was 33. Even after EKG changes and a right sided heart cath I wasn't diagnosed. After about 5 more years I was told "That is the loudest heart murmer I"ve ever heard!" Finally an echo was done and THEN I was finally diagnosed.
          Obstructive HCM, Pacemaker 1999, Septal Myectomy 2002

Comment

Bill was about 36 when he was diagnosed. Looking back he says that having HCM explained a lot about why he wasn't able to keep up with his peers (at school and early adulthood), was no good at team sports - at the time he thought that he wasn't fast enough or fit enough. Being diagnosed therefore answered a lot of questions.
            Sonja
            Wife to Bill (with HCM)

Comment

age of diagnosis

My daughter was diagnosed at 4 days old. My son was diagnosed at birth because of his sister's history. I thank god everyday for their early diagnosis. They have both had surgeries at early ages. I just think if they had not been diagnosed, how would a 3 year old tell me he was having heart trouble. That was the age my son had his first surgery. My daughter was 5.
              Michelle - mom to Krista and Tyler both HCM
              Krista surgeries: 3/97 myectomy, 2/99 mitral valve replacement
              Tyler surgery: 1/98 myectomy

Comment

My husband was told he had a murmur at age 34. He had a sinus infection and the nurse said that sometimes when you are sick some sounds are magnified. 6 months later, around his birthday, he had a full physical. They heard the murmur again. The nurse practitioner said his EKG "looked funky" and ordered an echo. This was performed at a Japanese Self Defense Force hospital, (the equivalent of their Air Force), then the results were translated into English. Some of the terminology was odd by American standards. Maroon Type III comes to mind. Anyway, they sent him to Hawaii for confirmation of diagnosis. Looking back he said he always thought he didn't seem to have as much lung capacity as others his age who were in about the same shape.
                Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I was diagnosed at....

i was diagnosed at age 21 but the air force doctors new a year to two years before. i had alot of symptons growing up but no one ever thought they were serious. have always had a heart murmur.
                  amanda

Comment

I was diagnosed with HCM at age 39, although i was found to have Mitral Valve Prolapse with Regurgitation two years ago at age 37. No other family members (two brothers, two sisters) have been diagnosed with it, although my father died from an unexplained cardiomyopathy in 1985. I suspect he had HCM. I had to get it from somewhere
                    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Age of Diagnosis

It was around 1979 or 80. (around 29 years old).

I had gone to a cardiologist for a physical only because he was treating my father-in-law for heart failure. The cardiologist heard a murmer, performed an ekg and subsequently, when reviewing the ekg, asked me if I had ever suffered a heart attack.

Of course, I replied no. Final diagnosis......IHSS.

Reinhard
                      Diagnosed in 1980, ICD Implant 2003, 2nd ICD in 2010.
                      Gene Positive, As is my mom as well as one of my 2 sons ( 50% Rule ) and my Grandson.
                      Non Obstructive. Atenolol

Comment

age of diagnosis

I was diagnosed at age 5. My son was diagnosed at 4 months.

Amy

Comment

I was diagnosed at 25yo, after 3 family deaths. I had been told i had a heart murmur for years prior to being diagnosed. I fortunately hated PE in school, so i escaped it for almost the whole year in 9th grade till they realized i was not taking any of these classes. may have been a godsend.
                          Laura Johnson

Comment

I was diagnosed at age 33, after many family members have died suddenly of cardic arrest.

Comment

Officially diagnosed at age 53. Doctors did find a heart murmur in grade school but it went away. A resident at the Southwestern Medical Center noticed something when I visited the doctors office for a cold and the had the staff doctor check it out, and the rest is history.
                              .....Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X