If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

myectomy at Mayo

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

suttonmadvm Find out more about suttonmadvm
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• myectomy at Mayo

Hello, I will be having a myectomy at Mayo on November 8, 2006 due to severe symptoms. I am unable to walk up the stairs in my own home. I have Dr. Schaff as my surgeon and Dr. Omman as my cardiologist. I am a practicing veterinarian. Can anyone tell me how long I will be off work and when I will feel human again after the surgery. To put it bluntly I am scared out of my mind. Hoping for relief from surgery.

Re: myectomy at Mayo

Fear is natural and that will likely continue, however, find comfort in the rest of us that have done so well. We succeeded in surgery and have a better quality of life. There are a variety of experiences so if you look through the archives you will see some issues explained (some very minor, others a bit bigger) however, I'm not sure I've heard anyone say they wish they hadn't done it, everyone is very glad they did.

Also, your fears are vastly larger than the reality will show you. I had a lot of people pray for me and if you believe it, I was at complete peace while they wheeled me in. A few tears maybe, but no fear or anxiety. Some need medicine to help with this (and if you do, take it, it helps) however I was blessed to be relaxed.

I can do nearly anything now, many days don't even think about having HCM. My life is full with small children and daily life.

You WILL feel better. May you have the peace I felt. Read the archives or go to Cynthia's blog that she mentioned. And, feel free to ask more questions or vent your fears, we are here to help.

Blessings as your time draws near. The worst part is waiting, really.
    Take good care, Laura
    Dx: HOCM 1991, Myectomy/Mitral Valve Repair @CCF July 19, 2005. Wife and Mom of two: ages 5 and 3.

Comment

Hi Mary

Everybody is different when it comes to surgery. I would suggest looking at people who have started threads prior to the surgery and finding out what happend to them. Most of the people on here have had positive experiences with the procedure. A lot of us going into the surgery have called people from the boards and I know I got a lot of peace from doing that.

All that being said, at 5 days I was out of the hospital. In 3 weeks I started doing a lot of walking and felt much better. At 6 weeks I wanted to go back to work but I waited until the 8th week.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Scott
      Every day is a present I was diagnosed when I was 38, I have asthma which made me assume it was ashtma, getting old, and being about 30 lbs over what I should be. I have days when I would rather not know. Myectomy club 3Jan06 CCF, my life is so much better!!!!

Comment

I had my myectomy done by Schaff in June, my cardio Nishimura. My care there was very good.

However, it took me about 2 + months to feel better enough to consider working, but my left lung didn't re-expand and after a month of recovery, I had a fever for a couple weeks. They ended up draining my chest cavity at about 7 weeks and after that recovery was so much better! I was so used to being out of breath that the lung not expanding didn't seem too major. My local cardio was amazed that I functioned as well as I did. (I am a teacher, so I actually didn't return to work until about 3 mo. later, which was about the right time frame for me, as all has gone well since and I feel much better than I did last year after a day of work.)

I think that I am a minority in many ways. If you read many posts under the myectomy section, I believe that most recover very quickly, but each case is different. I will only say that I had to advocate for myself with my local docs. I had many blood tests, all came back negative for infection, but they told me I looked great, until they took chest x-rays that even I could tell were bad! Most people's bodies will expel/absorb the fluids, although it is not uncommon in any open-heart surgery. However, just do know that if it starts to create fever and goes for too long like mine, it can be drained quite easily and without much pain involved. (I am in my 30's and thought I would handle the recovery well.) They did tell me also that I might be anemic for up to 3 mo., but it only took me about a month to get my hemoglobin back up. Cardiac rehab at your local hospital is also great to get you back to your "improved" self!

I'll be thinking of you. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or read past posts, there's a lot of info. out there. Don't get hung up on the "what if's".... I totally understand where you are coming from. I was very scared, but I think it was worth it. My gradient has gone from >100 to currently under 30, which I'd hoped would be lower yet, (many others see numbers in the teens or single digits). Often they say the full results are not seen until up to a year later. But I feel better and can take my dogs on walks without getting out of breath. Hang in there!
        CJ
        Diagnosed HOCM 2002, ICD 2002, Myectomy 6/1/06 at Mayo

Comment

Dr Schaff did my myectomy at Mayo in Dec of 1996. I was in the hospital(St Mary's) for a week and went back to work(computer analyst, nothing real physical!!) two months after the surgery.

Good Luck
          53yr old. History of A-Fib(been cardioverted 25+ times!!) Septal Myectomy at Mayo Clinic in 1996. ICD placed in 2000. Had tricuspid valve replaced in Jun 2007 - Feelin GREAT !!
          Goal is to have a single-digit golf handicap....

Comment

Mary,
            It took me a couple months to feel pretty good, but I think mine was not typical with some complications putting me in ICU a couple days right before my surgery and then having an ICD implanted a week later.

You have gotten some good advice. While waiting for my surgery date, it helped me to read about others' experiences on the board, to know what to expect. I know it is a scarey time, but soon it will all be a distant memory and you will be feeling relief and glad it's behind you. I know the waiting is difficult; I will keep you in prayer as your surgery date approaches. Please update us when you can and know that we'll be pulling for you on Wednesday.
            Theresa
            Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Mary,
              Praying for your peace tonight and your surgery tomorrow.
              Theresa
              Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Lisa or anyone,
                Any word on how Mary is or how she came through?

Comment

Working...
                X