If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upcoming septal myectomy/coronary artery bypass

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Loriwag I am a month recovery of having my wxtended septal myectomy. I had the surgery nov 8th,2016 at the mayo clinic in Rochester Mn. Was dischargef the 12th. Feeling different already. Cant wait until the healing is complete. Find out more about Loriwag
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming septal myectomy/coronary artery bypass

Traveling for my first visit to the mayo clinic nov. 7th. And my surgery is nov. 8th. I am very nervous. Was diagnosed in 2011 with hcm. My dad died of chf so they believe he had hcm also but was never diagnosed. I have had chf twice already and have a pace/defibulator in place. My mother had a triple bypass done and never woke up. I am the youngest of 7 girls(only one with heart problems) i was seen at johns hopkins hospital but they could not perform the surgery there because the center of my heart is affected also. I am very scared right now but looking towards a better future.

Hello Loriwag....
    Mayo is an amazingly huge place but amazingly caring and wonderful....I have said many times that I felt there were angels in the halls of the clinic! The most important thing is for you to relieve as much of your fear and anxiety as possible....It will help you heal faster. So ask all the questions you want and get information from reliable sources. Mayo has a heart disease support group and a specific HCM group on face book. HCMbeat.com is a blog and info site by a mayo myectomy graduate. I am a former ICU nurse that had a myectomy at Mayo 2 years ago. You can PM me if you like.
    Write down all the questions you have for your cardiologist and surgeon and take them with you to your appointments.
    Mayo is the best.... And especially in your type of mid septal hypertrophy.
    Best of Luck to you.
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Hi Loriwag - I had my first visit at Mayo in 2013 and can tell you you are in excellent hands! I'm going back there next week and unless something changes, my myectomy is already scheduled for that visit. Not sure how quickly I'll be back up and around but will try to post my experiences if I can.

As JillC said - Mayo is the best and has an incredible depth of experience in HCM -- the way I describe my upcoming myectomy to family and friends is "we think of it as life-altering open heart surgery but to them it's just a typical Tuesday" which is exactly what you want.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X