If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First trip to Mayo

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Foolishheart Find out more about Foolishheart
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First trip to Mayo

I was diagnosed with apical hcm in April. Bradycardia and lots of multi focul PVC's (bigeminy). Fatigue is my biggest complaint. Have no idea what to expect at Mayo. My Doc locally didnt say much more than this is what i have. I do have an appt with an EP after i return from Mayo. Glad i will be going to Mayo before the EP locally.
    My son will be going to have have ekg and echo , this part is unsettling to say the least.

Any opinions on kahler inn & suites or kahler grande hotel? Trying to stay close without spending an arm and leg.

Re: First trip to Mayo

There are many hotels nearby and if they are any distance, Mayo runs shuttles and most major hotel chains also provide shuttles. Should you be needing surgery in the future, you can locate your hotel closer to St. Marys (about 1.5 miles from Mayo) where they perform heart surgeries. Mayo's process and care will amaze and spoil you. There are hotels in all price ranges. If I was going during winter and its snowing, I'd lean towards the hotels connected via the Mayo tunnels, but many are walking distance if its just brisk & cold. Do report back on your experience.
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Re: First trip to Mayo

I went to the Mayo in June and stayed at the Hilton. They have a Mayo rate if you tell them that is why you are there and it is close to the clinic if you can or want to walk and gave a town car to take and pick you up.

Also, check out the Holiday Inn, which is across from the Hilton. I believe the Kahler was a bit expensive for us. Everything is close and connected by walkways. The map can make it look like it is a long walk to the clinic, but it's not. But if walking is a problem, then every step can seem like a mile. I worried a lot about this, but the hotels and Mayo have it all worked out.

Everyone in town are friendly and the weather was nice enough for us to stroll through town. We bought food at the People's Co-op. We really enjoyed the fresh salad bar and hot food bar. The restaurants in town seemed to have pub type food and I'm always watching what I eat. We did eat out, but not too many times. Ask away with your questions, we're here for you.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X