If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headed to Mayo Aug 3rd

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

yodeldog Find out more about yodeldog
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mbcube
    replied
    Re: Headed to Mayo Aug 3rd

Had my Birthday there too. No singing nurses, just an extra jello cup. Glad you're out & doing well. Please keep us up to date as you heal.

Leave a comment:

• gfox42
    replied

So glad to hear that you're doing well!

Gordon

Leave a comment:

• yodeldog
    replied

Its been a month since the surgery. I am feeling good.. My heart went into rhythm about two weeks ago. They said it would take a minimum of a month for the scarring to take effect.
    It was less painful then expected. But when I had to cough or sneeze OMG! that was a different story.
    I gained #12 when I was in the hospital for 7 days. I was retaining fluid. After 2 weeks out of the hospital I lost #15
    I slept in a recliner for the first 3 weeks. I had to have my head elevated. and it was a lot easier to sit up in a recliner then a bed when I was going to cough.

As for the Mayo Hospital its everything you would want for care. Everyone was great. I was surprised to see the surgeon on a Saturday to check on me. I was released on my birthday and I had 8 nurses in my room at breakfast singing happy bday . Life is good

Leave a comment:

• yodeldog
    replied

My doctors are at United Hospital in St Paul. This spring after an echo they called and told me they referred me to Mayo. My records have been sent already. I was happy where they sent me to.

I live 4 hours away from Mayo. I have lots of family an hour away.

I hope the surgery takes care of the afib and the clots I have had. The doctor said a 92% success rate compared to 60% for a couple of ablations

Thanks for all the advice. I will post again after I heal a little

Leave a comment:

• angusjcampbell
    replied

I'm a side-sleeper as well but I found myself sleeping on my back for quite some time - maybe 2 months or more. I was back at work full time and doing maybe 70% of my chores and physical movement but still found myself uncomfortable on my side at night.

A lot of folks here talk about recliners but I made do pretty comfortably with a few more pillows in bed, including the two pillows I got from the hospital. I never had trouble coughing but the pillows were helpful for propping me up in a gentle incline. Maybe the Tramodol helped me sleep too.

I also had 2 dogs and 4 cats come to my aid. They can sense when you are sick or hurt and were of great comfort more than the pillows. All of our pets are "rescues" from the shelter or vet, and this time they came to my rescue.

Leave a comment:

• JillC
    replied

Good Luck....You are at a great COE. I was just at Mayo last week meeting with Dr Ommen.
    I am a side sleeper also. After the first few days I had one of the nurses help prop me up on my side... At least a 1/4 turn.
    From what I remember, sleeping on my side was not painful..... It was getting my self onto my side or from my side to my back that was painful. Hold your heart pillow tight and log roll.....that is, keep your shoulders and hips on the same plane ... Don't twist your torso....ie go hips first and leave shoulders behind. That is painful and disrupts the healing sternum.

Leave a comment:

• mbcube
    replied

Good luck with surgery - Was your prior care at Mayo? Regardless - you're in excellent hands. As to Sternum& side sleeping, I can only relate with my myectomy. I did need to sleep elevated for a while. First week home in a recliner, then moved to bed with Head elevated on bricks, and a massive amount of pillows for the next week. I can't recall when I did side sleep, but thats my preferred way so I'm betting end of week 2 (at home) figure week three Post Op.
    Hope the amputation helps with that afib. I know it will dramatically lower your risk of stroke.

Leave a comment:

• yodeldog
    started a topic Headed to Mayo Aug 3rd

Headed to Mayo Aug 3rd

I am headed to Mayo for testing on Aug 3rd and on the 4th I am having a Surgical Maze and an atrial appendage amputation. It will be performed by Dr Lyle Joyce. Dr Ommen is my HCM doctor.

I have been thru an ICD implant, several cardioversions, a kidney infarction and I have had thrombus in my left atrial appendage since September. I have been in Afib/Aflutter for the last 5 years off and on. When I go into afib it takes about a week before I feel it. I was out fishing the last time when the hospital called to tell me I went into afib. The technoiogy we have today.

How long will it be before I can sleep on my side after the open heart surgery? Will I be able to sleep in a recliner? I have sleep apnea and I don't use a CPAP. I sleep on my side.

Gene

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X