If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heading to Mayo

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Wyoguy I am educated as a Civil Engineer. However, I spent most of my life as a farmer. If you eat Kashi organic cereal with wheat in it, you have probably eaten wheat from my farm:) Find out more about Wyoguy
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading to Mayo

I am headed to Mayo on April 27th. This will be an annual visit with Dr Ommen.

Dennis
    Diagnosed 1988
    ICD Feb 2014
    Mayo Dr Ommen 3/2014

Re: Heading to Mayo

I'm headed to Mayo for 1 year post op check up with Dr. Ommen sometime this summer. Last time I was there was for surgery, I stayed at The Fiksdale, across the street from St. Mary's hospital. This time I will just be going to the clinic so looking for hotel recommendations near the clinic.
    Thanks
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

JillC: If your into charm (and that definition is loosely used here) I stayed in a VERY old place a few blocks away on my last trip. The place is Old and Cheap. Rooms had even older furniture, clawfoot tubs, etc. It was clean, quite, and had a restaurant downstairs. But some might find things like the rickety elevator (can you say s l o w?) and dark narrow hallways off-putting. I on the other hand, like an adventure.
      Days Inn at 1st Ave NW & W Center attached to the Pannekoeken Restaurant.
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Hi Jill,

Last year I stayed at the Kahler Grand Hotel. They have some very inexpensive rooms (older building) if you look closely. Also, some very expensive rooms! Fairly small, but nice, clean and comfortable. And, across the street from the clinic, or underground and around for about twice as far. We always ate somewhere else, as their in-house cafe's were pretty expensive. I have not tried anywhere else, but, this time we are flying (last minute decision) and the bus from Minneapolis will drop you at the door. Convenient!

Dennis
        Diagnosed 1988
        ICD Feb 2014
        Mayo Dr Ommen 3/2014

Comment

I am off tomorrow morning. An annual check-up I am hoping, but I am sure they will let me know if not.

Dennis
          Diagnosed 1988
          ICD Feb 2014
          Mayo Dr Ommen 3/2014

Comment

Best of luck on your check up....Don't be shy about letting them know the progression of your symptoms, or if you would like to meet with the surgeon to discuss options even if now is not the right time for the surgery. Knowledge is power and relieves the mental suffering we put ourselves through.....This trip is an opportunity to bolster your knowledge of your current situation and outlook for the future.
            I hope you get answers and encouragement....Our hearts are with you!!
            Jill C
            After years of symptoms:

Comment

Dennis - Have a great check up and let us know how things went. Safe travels!
              Marc
              Diagnosed @ 48
              Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
              Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
              AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
              After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
              Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

We arrived safely and had an uneventful trip. The bus from Minn. Airport to Rochester was great. Nice weather here as opposed to home. Jill, I imagine you had rain and overcast all day.....since that is what we drove through this morning on the way to DIA.

Thanks for the encouragement! I will let you know what is up.

Dennis
                Diagnosed 1988
                ICD Feb 2014
                Mayo Dr Ommen 3/2014

Comment

Glad you arrived safe....It rained here ALL day....All I could think of was how glad I was that it wasn't snow.....which often happens here in April....it would have been several feet! Will be waiting to hear your progress report....I'll be heading out to Mayo around the end of July....Rest up!
                  After years of symptoms:

Comment

We made it home this evening and had a nice trip. I had good news and bad news. I think the good news outweighs the bad, but time will tell. After all the testing, they came up with a report. First the good news. The HCM has not progressed. Exactly as it was last time. Great! My exercise tolerance test shows that I am at 115% of normal capacity for a man my age. Double great!! That is better than last time. The bad.....at sometime, I have had a heart attack, and about 10% of my heart is affected. I don't know when this happened, nor do they. But, it does explain some of my symptoms worsening. Since my coronary arteries were....two clear, and one 30% blocked, they think that some plaque broke off and plugged the supply to the front and bottom of the heart. Or, that an old blood clot at the bottom of my heart....in the aneurism, flaked off and caused the problem. We will never know. So, I am now adding two more meds.....Crestor and diltiazem...to go along with my metoprolol, furosemide and xeralto. I feel like I could open a drug store! However, my heart has apparently compensated for the damage to a large extent, and is still ticking!

I had a short visit with Dr Ommen, but he seemed preoccupied. I spent a long time with Dr Bois, who is a "fellow" there under Ommen, and had several very good discussions with him. He is actually the one who sent me back for the nuclear test that showed the heart attack. We would not have discovered that issue if he had not been there. So, that is my report. I am taking it as a good report with some negative issues as well.

Jill, as it turns out, Dr Bois is from Colo Spgs. Small world!

Dennis
                    Diagnosed 1988
                    ICD Feb 2014
                    Mayo Dr Ommen 3/2014

Comment

Dennis....
                      I agree the good news far outweighs the bad news! .... "Stable" as in no deterioration is a true blessing as we age with our HCM... And to have such a great exercise test result too! and even though the heart attack was unexpected....at least it answered some questions. Sounds like a very productive visit!
                      I am Very Happy for you. It is Interesting what you said about your visit with Dr. Ommen. I have had that experience occasionally ... Which may come with him being head of the department and many duties....I don't know. But it's good to hear that there are young protégées coming forward in the field. We are going to be around for another 20 years so we need those young guys! Maybe Dr. Bois will return to Colorado after his fellowship and we can have a resource right here.
                      I'm planning a trip to Mayo the end of July... Dr. Bois may be ending his fellowship before then, But if not I will look for him.
                      Thanks for letting us know how you are doing.
                      Jill
                      Last edited by JillC; 04-30-2015, 10:38 AM.
                      After years of symptoms:

Comment

Thanks. Just so you know, I either walk or get on the elliptical machine every day. So, I am exercising with a purpose. It's often not what I want to do or feel like doing, but, I know it's best for me. It seems like two days of missed exercise, and I am starting all over again. I am doing my best to stay active. And, it seems to be working if something does not come up that would prevent it. I still work on the farm, and when I am around the home/shop, I walk everywhere. Yes, I feel very fortunate to be where I am with HCM, and although shocked at a heart attack, it seems that I am still fortunate.

Dennis
                        Diagnosed 1988
                        ICD Feb 2014
                        Mayo Dr Ommen 3/2014

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                        X