If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headed to Cleveland clinic 2/1/15

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Jimmy Happily married two daughters three grandchildren. I am a minister we also have a small farm Find out more about Jimmy
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headed to Cleveland clinic 2/1/15

Going for check up my heart rate has hit 140 a few time since my surgery Dr Levers up my toporol to 150mg a day maybe that will do it. Gonna be in trouble with the doc I just cannot shed the weight so I will get a butt chewing but I never get hungry not a couch potato walking or training dogs all day just cannot lose the weight. I feel really great could not believe my heart rate is going that high. Any ways who going to be there that week
    Myectomy January 8 2014

Re: Headed to Cleveland clinic 2/1/15

Jimmy,
    Hope they're able to help.

Gordon
    Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Thanks Gordon it may be stress related both parents where bad sick the day I got off the plane after my surgery been trying to take care of them ever since. Just needed a few months to get over surgery but it did not happen just had to suck it up and take care of things.
      Myectomy January 8 2014

Comment

Just realized the year of your myectomy (in your other post). I tend to use the wrong year until October. Glad your getting this checked out.
        Marc
        Diagnosed @ 48
        Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
        Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
        AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
        After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
        Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Hi Jimmy,
          Just a comment: the real question is what you can do next to help your health, not what would have been better to do after your myectomy. Nobody (including Dr. Lever) is going to criticize you for taking care of your folks!

Gordon

Comment

Gordan I really like Dr Levers what he will tell me is better for me I know I could not have a better Doctor looking out for my heart Mom passed away Dad is living with us now he is in end stage renal failure so it up and down with him . We are going to sell our farm and move to a smaller farm and just raise border collies that will free some time for me to get things done for myself
            Myectomy January 8 2014

Comment

Jimmy, my goodness gracious what a hard time you have had and bless you for taking care of family. Joan and I send prayers for you and Linda and family. (Jimmy had surgery the day before I did at CCF). I feel blessed every day I wake up. Good Luck with the farm. Ill ask my puppies to pray for your collies too.
              Last edited by angusjcampbell; 01-21-2015, 03:08 PM.
              Angus Campbell
              Golden Isles Region, Southeast Georgia, USA

Dx'd HOCM at St Luke's Roosevelt, New York City, 2005
              Myectomy Jan 9th 2014 at Cleveland Clinic
              Drs Lever and Smedira

Comment

Originally posted by angusjcampbell View Post
                Jimmy, my goodness gracious what a hard time you have had and bless you for taking care of family. Joan and I send prayers for you and Linda and family. (Jimmy had surgery the day before I did at CCF). I feel blessed every day I wake up. Good Luck with the farm. Ill ask my puppies to pray for your collies too.
                Thanks Angus I hope You and Joan are doing good things will work out here are you going back to cleveland for a check up
                Myectomy January 8 2014

Comment

Thanks Jimmy. My local cardio guy is pleased with my results from my last local echo and I will have another soon in March. I know that if he has questions that he can pick up the phone and call Drs Lever or Smedira.
                  Angus Campbell
                  Golden Isles Region, Southeast Georgia, USA

Dx'd HOCM at St Luke's Roosevelt, New York City, 2005
                  Myectomy Jan 9th 2014 at Cleveland Clinic
                  Drs Lever and Smedira

Comment

I really still have not found anyone that can get on the same page as Dr Levers so the trust factor is not here at all. Before Moms passing I had talked to the doctors here about her having some of the same problems I was having they done a full checkup on her heart and her heart was strong one doctor said he wished his heart was as good as hers. I sat with Mom will they done a echo with what little education I have I could see she had some serious heart problems the next morning the Doc came in and said her test where great no heart problem well i took the doc to task over it ask if he even looked at the echo he said no just going off the report I told to go and looked at it for his self well he came back that evening telling what was wrong septum wall was real thick severe aortic valve damage mitral valve problems she would need open heart surgery to fix this but Mom was not strong enough this was a different set of doctors that missed my problems and supposed to be on the cutting edge of heart care in Huntsville
                    Myectomy January 8 2014

Comment

I just(well 3 days ago) found out that I need to go to Cleveland. A connection of my EP has worked with Dr. Desai. So I am being scheduled. I doubt it will be as soon as 2/1. I need an electrical ablation. The question is whether I need a myectomy any time soon. If so, the external ablation(MAZE) procedure while I'm already opened up would apparently be preferable to a cath ablation. My primary cardiologist has reached the end of his comfort zone with me now that I am exhibiting afib with chest pain, and faintness in addition to my HOCM. I suppose that a mini-maze(through the ribs - I think) might be an option too.

I hope everything goes really well for you, and you figure out a way to get the weight off.
                      Diagnosed with HOCM (Now HCM w/ obstruction) in 2001
                      Asymptomatic until 2012 - BP started dropping during exercise onset - nearly fainting
                      Nov 2014 - Initial onset of a-fib w/RVR and it is now a regular companion
                      Amiodarone 200 mg twice/day
                      Metoprolol ER 50 mg twice/day
                      Xarelto 20 mg

Comment

Well, you have docs who are good enough to know when they should send you elsewhere - and that's no small thing! You'll be in great hands in Cleveland. I hope you can get scheduled there quickly.

Gordon

Comment

My app is Feb 4th so we might run into one another in the testing arenas I will be a the gray with very little haired man with a southern draw and as Gordon said cleveland is a great place to be if you have heart problems saved my life
                          Myectomy January 8 2014

Comment

Working...
                          X