If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paperwork for work disability and insurance

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Colorado213 Wife to husband diagnosed with "a severe case of HOCM" according to Dr. Salcedo at University Colorado Med Hospital HCM Center March to June 2014 I'm the main researcher and planner, so here I am! Mother to 3 young boys who will be tested in the coming months as soon as we get daddy situated. Find out more about Colorado213
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paperwork for work disability and insurance

Justin is scheduled for a myectomy Oct 9 at CC. We are a bit confused on why CC says they cannot sign the Short Term Disability form from his work but have to get his Attending doctor to do it. Currently we sent it to his HCM doctor in Denver but haven't heard back yet and I'm worried we are not going to get the approval in time for the surgery.

We've left two messages at the HCM doc in Denver and I wonder if it'll do me any good to just drive to the office to see if someone can assist.

Anyone else have this experience with paperwork?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Megan, wife to Husband, Justin with HOCM
    Husband diagnosed at 37 when taken to ER due to CHF on vacation in San Diego at Pomerado Hospital, March 2014
    Seeing Dr. Salcedo in UC Med Hospital Denver upon diagnosis
    AICD/Pacemaker July 2014 @ UC Med Hospital, Denver with Dr. Nguyen
    Myectomy at Cleveland Clinic October 2014 with Dr. Smedira
    Parents to 3 boys, 11, 8, and 6 all currently clear from recent echos

Re: Paperwork for work disability and insurance

1)Who is going to follow dh post op in Colorado? Will that be Dr. Salcedo? Who ever will be seeing him as his ongoing cardiologist is the one to sign the papers because he is the one that will have to sign to clear him to return to work
    2) Read your short term disability policy statements...and/or talk to HR. In my case there was something like a 30 day grace period to get the paperwork in ....this is usually in place because if you leave on an emergency....you wouldn't be able to have paperwork ahead of time.
    3) Often times there is a nurse or other office personnel that is assigned to the paper flow of forms through the cardiologists office.. In my case there is a lady just assigned to forms....she fills everything out that she can from my medical record and highlights the parts the doctor has to fill in himself and sign. MDs need help and direction and handle as little paper as possible. See if you can find out who that magic person is and how to talk to them directly to get the paperwork done.
    4) I never just send anything, I fax and call and follow up and make sure it is in the correct hands...I also pick everything up in person for the same reason and hand deliver to HR keeping copies for myself, or if HR is out of town, send by traceable overnight and call and verify arrival...do not trust snail mail. As you suggested, going down in person can be time consuming, but impressive to meet whoever shuffles the papers face to face may help you move to the top of the pile.
    Hope this helps. Good Luck!
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

I spent my professional career working with hospital departments and private practices as a vendor. I learned that sometimes even the best docs don't always have the most efficient administrative back-end (unless it involves getting paid!).

Megan, with a month out, you don't need any more stress. I'd go to the practice and politely get in their face. Nothing like a concerned spouse to get things done!

There must be a good reason that CCF could not sign-off on this. I found them to be efficient and helpful.
      Angus Campbell
      Golden Isles Region, Southeast Georgia, USA

Dx'd HOCM at St Luke's Roosevelt, New York City, 2005
      Myectomy Jan 9th 2014 at Cleveland Clinic
      Drs Lever and Smedira

Comment

We got it done and approved! Whew, one less thing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Megan, wife to Husband, Justin with HOCM
        Husband diagnosed at 37 when taken to ER due to CHF on vacation in San Diego at Pomerado Hospital, March 2014
        Seeing Dr. Salcedo in UC Med Hospital Denver upon diagnosis
        AICD/Pacemaker July 2014 @ UC Med Hospital, Denver with Dr. Nguyen
        Myectomy at Cleveland Clinic October 2014 with Dr. Smedira
        Parents to 3 boys, 11, 8, and 6 all currently clear from recent echos

Comment

Ah the squeaky wheel. . . Thanks for being there and handling this stuff for your Husband. We often take our caregivers and assistance folks for granted. I think its because we are thrusted into this HCM storm and with all the craziness of learning, adapting, researching, surgery, rehab, etc., we lose sight of this.
          Marc
          Diagnosed @ 48
          Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
          Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
          AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
          After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
          Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Good for you, Megan!

One thing that you'll learn when you get to CCF -and I'm sure it the same at other major COE's - is that the nurses will take just as good care of you as they do your hubby. They know that you will be a major partner in care and they will turn to you first and give the 411 on everything going on with his care, knowing that you will absorb and remember (and ask good questions), while hubby will be drifting through a haze of meds. Even the orderlies coming to clean the room looked after my wife's care and comfort.

The whole process can be tougher on the spouse than the patient, but it sounds like you are up to the task and you will get a lot of support at CCF and here as well.
            Angus Campbell
            Golden Isles Region, Southeast Georgia, USA

Dx'd HOCM at St Luke's Roosevelt, New York City, 2005
            Myectomy Jan 9th 2014 at Cleveland Clinic
            Drs Lever and Smedira

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X