If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headed to Mayo in October

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Redteamer Find out more about Redteamer
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Headed to Mayo in October

Discharged! Mellowing in hotel before the flight home Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Joel

Born 1955 in USA, DX'd w/HCM 1996, in United Kingdom
    2011, 2013, 2014 ablations for Afib and flutter in UK, INOVA Fairfax, VA, and Johns Hopkins
    June 2014 DX HOCM at Johns Hopkins
    October 2014 Myectomy and Cryomaze at Mayo Clinic

Comment

YIPPEE !! Let the healing begin! Also - I suggest not visiting the duplex movie theatre in town. Never been to a theatre that had a sign that read - No Firearms Allowed.
      When did this get to be a problem?

If the weather seems too cold (or slippery) to continue your 3X daily walks, take the shuttle to the main clinic and walk underground there.
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Congratulations! Here's hoping for a smooth recovery!

Gordon
        Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Hi team. We are home and recovering. No heart issues at all but some stress relate headaches yesterday. So good to be here. Hartzell Schaff may be the most skilled heart surgeon out there and his team at Mayo is the best. Everyone we dealt with there was dedicated to getting us healed - they love their patients. I read the report of the surgery, Myectomy and Cryomaze, and although much of it was over my head, it is still amazing. Next week I'll start rehab. Walks have been regular and I've been able to sleep upstairs and live downstairs. The trip home Thursday was arduous, very hard on my wife, but we made it thanks to lots of help from friends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Joel

2011, 2013, 2014 ablations for Afib and flutter in UK, INOVA Fairfax, VA, and Johns Hopkins

Comment

Hope you have a very smooth recovery!
            Diagnosed with HCM in 1992
            Myectomy at Johns Hopkins in April 2013

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to let us know you are home and doing well, So happy for you. I believe that the " heartfull" passion on which the Mayo brothers built their clinic pervades the entire facility and the city it was built in. The ability to make each of us feel cared for while practicing medicine with the utmost skill and efficiency....is amazing.
              After years of symptoms:
              Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
              Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
              Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
              At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Glad you are home safe. Yes, the trip is always harder on the spouse. Aren't we so lucky?? Keep moving around but don't reach too far. Time will get you in the groove and then you will rock. Godspeed.
                Angus Campbell
                Golden Isles Region, Southeast Georgia, USA

Dx'd HOCM at St Luke's Roosevelt, New York City, 2005
                Myectomy Jan 9th 2014 at Cleveland Clinic
                Drs Lever and Smedira

Comment

Glad you are home and doing well. I hope you are soon able to do all of the things that HCM has been keeping you from doing.
                  At least 5 years of symptoms.
                  07/24/14: Age 45, diagnosed with HCM w/ obstruction.
                  09/30/14: Tested at Cleveland Clinic (Ohio).
                  January 2015: Approved for surgery.
                  03/05/15: Pending myectomy & possible mitral valve replacement at Cleveland Clinic

Comment

Your account of your surgery and recover has been invaluable to me. My husband will be undergoing a myectomy at some point and it helps so much to hear reports of those who have already been through it.

We live in Israel and Dr. Schaff has a collaboration with a hospital here. We are doing Norpace for now and hoping that Dr. Schaff will plan a trip to Israel at some point so dh can have him as a surgeon. If not, he'll be operated on by the local surgeon trained by Dr. Schaff.
                    Last edited by galileegirl; 10-28-2014, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Galileegirl- my best wishes to you and your husband. I'm sure Dr Schaff or a protégé will take good care of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Joel

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X