If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headed to Mayo in October

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Redteamer Find out more about Redteamer
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headed to Mayo in October

Today I got my dates for my septal myectomy at Mayo in Rochester. I'm scheduled with Dr Schaff on 15 October. I'll start things off with angiogram and appointments on the 13th. Planning for flight and hotel accommodation now. We have friends in Minneapolis who will take us to/from Rochester. Any pointers are welcome.
    Joel

Born 1955 in USA, DX'd w/HCM 1996, in United Kingdom
    2011, 2013, 2014 ablations for Afib and flutter in UK, INOVA Fairfax, VA, and Johns Hopkins
    June 2014 DX HOCM at Johns Hopkins
    October 2014 Myectomy and Cryomaze at Mayo Clinic

Re: Headed to Mayo in October

Congrats! I had mine done about the same time of year - Dress accordingly. Couple of things, When getting a room for any guests and for yourself if you want to "recoup" a bit before traveling, Look for something near St. Mary's. Thats the hospital Mayo uses for heart surgery (Don't let the exterior scare you). Most hotels have shuttles to the main center where you'll do all your testing. As for the testing - They give you an itinerary thats packed with 2 days of testing that will have you criss-crossing the campus. The schedules are a bit loosey goosey so if you find yourself ahead of schedule you can go to your next appointment and see if they can get you in. Some things like blood-work is easy. You may end up canceling a lot of tests on the second day so you may have time to do some sightseeing. Mayo has a great art collection and a museum.
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Ditto on the hotel near St Mary's . There are several right across the street, Aspen Suites, The Fiksdal, and A Marriott ....Prices 85-135 per night. My daughter really appreciated being able to walk across the street to come visit....no cars or shuttle needed. I took the shuttle to the 2 days of tests at The clinic campus 1 mile away before surgery......
      Most important to my daughter was Carabou Coffee shop next to the hotelsLOL. we stayed at the older less fancy Fiksdal Hotel ...for the price ..... Our room came with a recliner microwave and fridge and the evening manager Adam is The Best.... Always helpful.
      So Glad you got your dates.....October will be here before you know it.
      I can say for me personally that Mayo saved my life......please PM if you have any questions for me.
      Best Of Luck!
      Jill
      After years of symptoms:
      Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
      Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
      Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
      At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Yes, when I went 8 years ago I stayed at what is now the Aspen Suites. Very convenient and very comfortable, with full kitchens and all so post surgery we could cook meals. I stayed in town for a few days before flying home which I would recommend. I wrote a blog about my experiences, which might answer some questions for you.

www.cynthiassummeradventure.blogspot.com

Best of luck. It is an amazing place.
        Daughter of Father with HCM
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
        Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
        ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
        Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Cynthia, I was riveted by your blog and almost late to work. Thanks to you and Vince for the fine chronicle. Thanks also to Jill and MHCube for the pointers!
          Joel

2011, 2013, 2014 ablations for Afib and flutter in UK, INOVA Fairfax, VA, and Johns Hopkins

Comment

Leaving for Minneapolis tomorrow. Spending the night with friends Saturday, then after church, we'll head down to Rochester on Sunday. We are staying across from St Marys. Tests Monday, angiogram Tuesday, then myectomy and maze on Wednesday by Dr Schaff and his team. I'll be glad to get it behind me. Nice thing is we will get to see friends from high school days, and that will be nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Joel

Comment

Bring a rubber ducky. . . Just sayin'
              Marc
              Diagnosed @ 48
              Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
              Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
              AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
              After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
              Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Go get em Joel!!! Many of us here on the forum have been down the Mayo path and we will be there with you in spirit.....In case you are wondering rubber ducks are a decor item on the Cardiac step down unit......You will meet them soon enough.
                After years of symptoms:
                Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
                Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
                Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
                At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Good luck! It is a ride for sure, so lots of deep breaths and don't rush. Happy healing thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Megan, wife to Husband, Justin with HOCM
                  Husband diagnosed at 37 when taken to ER due to CHF on vacation in San Diego at Pomerado Hospital, March 2014
                  Seeing Dr. Salcedo in UC Med Hospital Denver upon diagnosis
                  AICD/Pacemaker July 2014 @ UC Med Hospital, Denver with Dr. Nguyen
                  Myectomy at Cleveland Clinic October 2014 with Dr. Smedira
                  Parents to 3 boys, 11, 8, and 6 all currently clear from recent echos

Comment

Keeping you in my thoughts. Glad you are on the path to feeling better. Keep us updated when you can.
                    At least 5 years of symptoms.
                    07/24/14: Age 45, diagnosed with HCM w/ obstruction.
                    09/30/14: Tested at Cleveland Clinic (Ohio).
                    January 2015: Approved for surgery.
                    03/05/15: Pending myectomy & possible mitral valve replacement at Cleveland Clinic

Comment

Keeping positive thoughts for you and praying all goes smoothly. You'll be in great hands!

Comment

You'll be in great hands.

Gordon
                        Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement all. We arrived in Rochester today and start tests tomorrow. We are right across the street from Mary Brigh Building, St Mary's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Joel

Comment

I'll resume posting when I'm in recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            Joel

Comment

Best wishes! I'll be saying a prayer for your easy recovery.
                              Megan, wife to Husband, Justin with HOCM
                              Husband diagnosed at 37 when taken to ER due to CHF on vacation in San Diego at Pomerado Hospital, March 2014
                              Seeing Dr. Salcedo in UC Med Hospital Denver upon diagnosis
                              AICD/Pacemaker July 2014 @ UC Med Hospital, Denver with Dr. Nguyen
                              Myectomy at Cleveland Clinic October 2014 with Dr. Smedira
                              Parents to 3 boys, 11, 8, and 6 all currently clear from recent echos

Comment

Working...
                              X